Forum Discussion

avinashs15
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Process Name changed. Solv object reognitation problems

Hi,

I'm using Test complete 7.55.678.7.

Our product had a Process which was named, say X. It was designed in such a way that when the product launches different appreciations, new processes were created (Say, process a, b , so on and so forth) . With the recent app domain changes, now there's only a single process running even when different applications are launched using the product.

The Object definition changes because of the process name change(which is expected). But the problem is, with the new changes, Object full name is not displayed as expected.

This is an example for a button.

Sys.Process("WorkflowHost").Window("WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.a336fc", "IntelliSpace Portal [logged in as 'easy3']", 1).Window("WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.a336fc", "", 2).Window("WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.a336fc", "", 1).Window("WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.a336fc", "", 1).Window("WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.a336fc", "", 1).Window("WindowsForms10.BUTTON.app.0.a336fc", "Multimedia"&Chr(13)&Chr(10)&"Viewer", 5)

I've installed .net 3.5 on my machine which is running Windows 7 64 bit os.

I also checked this on win xp 32 bit with .net 3.5 installed.

Can you please provide a solution for this.

We'll provide the customer id for the license if requried

Thanks

Avinash

4 Replies

• Hi,

To solve such problems, TestComplete offers the Name Mapping feature. Name mapping lets you create custom names for test objects and use them in tests. This will make your tests stable to changes in the application. For more information, please read http://smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/11327/ in the online documentation.

avinashs15
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

We have a framework which just uses test complete/test execute as an engine. The rest of the scripting is done in our framework using c# methods. We do not use name mapping functionality of test complete. We are just passing full name of the object to test complete as a parameter.

When process named changed, I was under the impression that just the first part of the object "Sys.Process(<process name>)" definition changes. We are defining this in a base class. Changing the process name should ideally solve the problem for us. Since we've already automated around 2000 test cases, and the entire object recognition is changing, every single test case is failing.

We expect our test cases to pass with simple process name change.

We had a similar problem earlier and Test complete provided us a patch.

Can you please provide a complete solution for this other than name mapping.
  • Hi Avinash,

You have faced a known problem related to .NET Framework updates. Please contact our Support Team via this web form to get a patch.

avinashs15
    Occasional Contributor
    I've contacted the support team.

Thank you for your help

Avinash