Forum Discussion

fayrehouse
Frequent Contributor
11 years ago

Problems with PagePicture

Folks,

Following on from an earlier post by me (thanks to Gena again for response!) http://smartbear.com/forums/f81/t83875/looking-for-image-in-browser-window/

I
've found the following:

1. PagePicture seems to scroll to the top of the browser page, then scroll down, "appending" snapshots to the capture image as it goes, to build the "full length" picture. 

2, In IE32 and IE64, it manages to match the first of my file images (Image1) no problem. In Chrome, it doesn't match Image1. Is this a TC bug? something to do with how the screens are rendered? 

3. In IE32 or IE64 (and also Chrome) - it fails to match the second of my file images (Image2). Here I think I can see the reason - it capture the comparison image in two parts when scrolling. Between the two parts there seems to be a horizontal line - which seems to match the bottom 2-3 pixels of the IE tab bar?

Does anyone else experience the same? For reference, when I speak of IE32 and IE64 - this is IE8.

Cheers

Steve

4 Replies

maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    >>

Sorry I should have updated this post sooner - I seem to have resolved the Chrome issue - I needed to save my comparison image as PNG rather than JPG. I'm no graphics expert, but seemingly something in how JPG's are encoded and PNG differs - I was capturing the JPG from IE, which resulted in a match, but something in how the two browsers render things is subtly different, but PNG somehow "resolves" this.

Don't ask me why, but touch wood it seems to work!

>>

Might be related to png being a lossless format? Just one idea as far as that part of it.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Steve,

Please clarify what you mean by this:

>>In Chrome, it doesn't match Image1

>>it fails to match the second of my file images

Please describe the differences between the needed and the actual behavior of the method.

fayrehouse
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi Tanya,

Sorry I should have updated this post sooner - I seem to have resolved the Chrome issue - I needed to save my comparison image as PNG rather than JPG. I'm no graphics expert, but seemingly something in how JPG's are encoded and PNG differs - I was capturing the JPG from IE, which resulted in a match, but something in how the two browsers render things is subtly different, but PNG somehow "resolves" this.

Don't ask me why, but touch wood it seems to work!

That said, the issue with PagePicture and IE remains - when TC captures the "additional" bits of the screen to append to the overall image, it appears to capture a row of 1-2 pixels in height at the bottom of the tab bar. Can you advise here?

Thanks again

Steve

fayrehouse
    Frequent Contributor
    Good thinking Mark... Now I just need the PagePicture "tab bar line" removed :)