Forum Discussion

mishutkin
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Problem with a single quotation mark in a string

Can't find a description of this problem anywhere...

I have a script written in VBScript. I am trying to see if a string contains a substring that has a single quotation mark in it:

String = "Let's bring it up later"

Substring = "Let's bring"

Res = aqString.Find(String, Substring)

Why I am getting -1, meaning that the string does not contain the substring? If I reduce the substring to "s bring" than I get a positive result. Looks like the apostrophe (single quote) has something to do with it... But why does it? Single quotes are allowed in VBScript strings.

8 Replies

mishutkin
    Occasional Contributor
    Nope. Same problem: InStr returns 0, meaning that the substring was not found in the string...

Does a single quote require escaping or something when used as an apostrophe, i.e., it does not have a matching single quote?
    mishutkin
    Occasional Contributor
    The problem is not with string functions. The substring is read from an Excel data file. In there " ' " is used an apostrophe. But when it is placed in a text box on a web page it becomes " ’ " (a single quote)...
  • Hi,

try adding a escape character(\)  in the string and see if it works.

regards,

saurabh
    sastowe
    Super Contributor
    How are you identifying the quote as the culprit? I have never heard of a difference between "apostrophe" and single quote in a *string* data type. Something like rtf might have a smart quote. For debugging purposes, can you loop through each character in each string and Char() it? Make sure your strings are the same?
    sastowe
    Super Contributor
    My bad. Not char() asc(). Compare the character codes.
    aqAnt
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello Misha,

Are you using localized versions of Windows and Excel? How do you read data from your file?

mishutkin
    Occasional Contributor
    Guys, thanks for your replies, but I already identified the problem, as I mentioned in my last post.

I read the string from an Excel data file and placed it in a text box on a web page. Then I searched for a substring in a string that was a part of an HTML object where I had placed it. The problem is that HTML replaced " ' " with " ’ " when the string was placed in an object on the web page. And these characters are not the same, of course...