Forum Discussion

s5h
Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

Passing excel file as a parameter in KDT

Hi

I was wondering if there was a way by which you could pass an excel file as a parameter in KDT. It can be done using script but we are trying to stay away from script and stick with KDT as much as possible. 

So if I have a DDT loop in KDT, I create a dbtable variable and it points to the excel I require. If I wanted to pass different excel files into the same DDT loop how do I go about it? 

I tried setting the default variable value(current excel name) = parameter (different excel name)  but this doesn't work

Any ideas?

• Hi Siobhan,

What exactly doesn't work? Specifying the path to the Excel file and reading its content in a loop seem to be OK. How are you accessing the cells in your keyword test? If you are specifying the column by name, this name should exist in all Excel files you are passing to the test.

1 Reply

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Siobhan,

What exactly doesn't work? Specifying the path to the Excel file and reading its content in a loop seem to be OK. How are you accessing the cells in your keyword test? If you are specifying the column by name, this name should exist in all Excel files you are passing to the test.