Forum Discussion

richpit
New Contributor
14 years ago

Not recording the last character of an entered value (keyword test)

I did a quick search and didn't find anything about this.  Sorry if it already exists...

I'm new to evaluating the product, so I'm recording simple tasks like logging in, entering forms, etc. 

I'm finding that every time I end recording a Keyword Test, the very last character of an input string is missing.  I.E.  if I enter "secret01" as a password, it will record "secret0". Of course, when I try to run the test, it fails.

Any idea why it's doing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

10 Replies

• Hi Richard,

Are you testing a web application? If so, please tell me what browser you are using. There is a known issue in the IE 7 and IE 8 browsers related to skipping characters. The problem can be resolved by using the value or Text property of the controls you need to enter data in instead of using the Keys method. Please see the Simulating Keystrokes in Browsers help topic for information.

Is it the case?
    richpit
    New Contributor
    Yes, that is the case.

It's a web app, IE 8 on Windows 7.  I'll check the URL you referenced.

Thanks for the response!

EDIT:  I read the attached URL article.  I'm not sure it helps.  I've attached an image of the item in question.  In the "Value" column, I recorded "sherri", it only kept "sherr" and I had to manually add the "i" to make it work.

No where am I seeing the "Keys" method mentioned in the article.  It seems to be a "Set Text" operation. 

Please keep in mind, I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm totally new to this tool!

Thanks,

Richard
    hendrik_schreib
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

i have the same problem with Test Complete 8.10 and IE 8.

Steps to reproduce:

- Recording a simple website login with username "user" and passwort "password"

- The keyword tests contains only "use" and "passwor"

How can i fix this?

Thanks
  • Hi Hendrik,

We are aware of this problem. We are working hard to fix the issue in one of the future product updates. Currently, you can modify the incomplete values to the correct ones in your keyword tests. Also, you can try following Allen's suggestions (using the value or the Text property of the edit controls).
    JGAkina1
    Occasional Contributor
    I have the same problem.  What is the status of the fix?
  • Hi George,

We are still working on this problem. In the meantime, please use the workaround mentioned in this thread.
    JLHedges
    New Contributor
    I'm having the same problem in TestComplete 8.20, using multiple browsers (IE 7,8,9, Firefox 3.6, 4.0). Modifying the values after the fact is one thing, how can I set TestComplete up so I don't have to do that?
  • Hi Jesse,

The situation will be improved in the next product update.

Have you tried using the recommendations given in this thread? You can also try increasing the value of the Key pressing delay option (right-click your project in Project Explorer | Properties | Playback | Runtime). Also, you can make TestComplete record the SetText action instead of the Keys method. To do this, you need to modify the Record text input into simple editors as option. See the Recording Options Dialog help topic for details.
  • I ran into this issue recording my fist script after downloading Trial edition of Test Complete 9.10 today.  Two years after the first comment.  Sad.  

Obviously not work Hard at this.

My new company has some existing licenses that have only been used for a few months maybe we should be rethinking this path.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear that the problem still persists. Actually, according to our DB, this issue was fixed in TestComplete 8.50. Maybe our testers should recheck it. Could you please contact our Support Team to continue the investigation?

We're really sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.