Forum Discussion

gentlesea
Frequent Contributor
13 years ago

Maximum number of editors is not respected by the search function

When I set Tools - Options - Panels - Workspace - Maximum number of editors to 1 I expect to have only 1 window open at the same time. The reason I want this is to overcome the nasty habit of TestComplete to open the same file several times when searching. What I noticed here is that searching does not care about this setting. This is not how it should be, is it?

10 Replies

irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi.

I failed to reproduce the behavior you had described.

What version of TestComplete are you using?

I tried the latest version of TestComplete (8.60), and everything worked fine (as you expected). Try upgrading to the latest version and reproduce the behavior. Does the problem persist?

I have one more guess: did you save the changes after you've set the target option's value? Try clicking the Save All button on the Standard toolbar after the option value is set to 1 and then try again. Does the problem occur?

If the problem occurs, please specify more detailed steps so that we could reproduce this behavior.

Thanks.

gentlesea
    Frequent Contributor
    I am using version 8.60.665.7. My project suite has several projects all
    using the same file. Maybe this has an impact on the behaviour.
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi.

I've tried adding the same file (it was a script routine in my case) to several projects and then performed a search within the project suite. However, even in this case, the behavior was correct.

I think, the situation you described is specific to your project. So, could you please send your project to our Support Team so we could reproduce the behavior and find the solution faster?

Thanks.

gentlesea
    Frequent Contributor
    You can use the files from Issue# M0091424 I sent to you.
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi.

Thanks for the files. Our Support Team is going to continue working with you via e-mail.

gentlesea
    Frequent Contributor
    With the new version the number seems to be respected in most situations. However it is not respected when having one file open which was modified and not saved and the same file is opened again. Then there are 2 editors open. Might be a suggestion for the next version.
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi,

As far as I can see in our DB, the behavior you had described in your initial message will be changed in the next major release, so, in TestComplete 8.70, it shouldn't be changed.

As for the second situation (that you had described in the latest post), I failed to reproduce it using TestComplete 8.70. Would you mind to provide us with more detailed steps, or send your project to our Support Team?

Thanks.

gentlesea
    Frequent Contributor
    The second issue can be reproduced this way:

Set your maximum editor to 1.

Verify that this worked by opening one file and opening another second file.

The first file is closed and only the second file is open. Good.

Now modify the second file (e.g. just remove the Enter at the end).

Notice that this worked by inspecting the tab with the filename. It should contain an asterix (*).

Now open the first file or a third new file.

Notice that now both files are open. The second file and the first resp. the third file. This disrespects the number of maximum editors.
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed steps.

I've registered this issue in our DB. Thanks for reporting it.

gentlesea
    Frequent Contributor
    Thank you for fixing this issue in the new version. Keep up the good work.