Forum Discussion

cdosreis
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

lost object mapping after browser update

Hi,

I had an object mapped and after I update tc to the latest version I have lost the object mapped. When I check the properties of the object and hit the highlight button it doesn't find the object on the navigator. I'm using TC 12.50.4142.7 x64, with the patch Firefox 60. And my script was working until I have installed the the patch for Firefox 60. That was released the 03/05/2018

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

If you use Object Spy and spy out the object itself, what shows up?  NameMapping uses a set of properties and a hierarchy of the object to determine identification.  If the hierarchy of the object has changed (additional ancestor objects in the tree), if any of the ancestor objects of the one you're looking for have changed in properties, or if the object in question has changed properties, this will "break" NameMapping.  You will need to do some investigation to find out where this happened.

cdosreis
    Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

The object is confirmation windows. In fact I can access a radiobutton (save) on the confirmation windows but I can't find the OK button

cdosreis
    Occasional Contributor

I forgot to mention that if I try to map again the object I can't get to the object. The app isn't able to locate the object so I can map it. In theory it finds the object but when I hit the highlight button on the screen it doesn't work

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Well, that's if you're going from the existing mapping to the object... you won't be able to get to it that way.  You'll need to investigate the object as it exists currently via Object Spy/Object Browser and update the mapping to match.  Please read the article that I linked.

cdosreis
    Occasional Contributor

It's not working! I can't map the object again and I have read the info you gave me.

Now I have the new version of firefox and the new patch for tc and now I can't event start the navigator. Once I have send the command to start the program tc stop the execution.

some data from the patch of firefox I have on my system after the last update from today 17/05/2018
    <version value="60.0.1.6710">
          <func rva="0x00638569" name="CallGetServiceByName" />

Also is weird that I have the new patch on my pc and on the site you don't have information about this new patch for 60.0.1

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

cdosreis wrote:

It's not working! I can't map the object again and I have read the info you gave me.

Now I have the new version of firefox and the new patch for tc and now I can't event start the navigator. Once I have send the command to start the program tc stop the execution.

some data from the patch of firefox I have on my system after the last update from today 17/05/2018
      <version value="60.0.1.6710">
            <func rva="0x00638569" name="CallGetServiceByName" />

Also is weird that I have the new patch on my pc and on the site you don't have information about this new patch for 60.0.1

First, a note... I'm not a SmartBear employee... I'm providing what help I can as a fellow user, helping you figure stuff out.  SmartBear staff DO hang out here... but if you want more direct, immediate help, please contact https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete.

That said.... as mentioned, you will need to use Object Spy to find the object in your application... in other words, don't go to NameMapping and attempt to "highlight" from there are open the object browser from there... use Object Spy (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/exploring-apps/object-spy/about.html) to find the object, navigate from there to find the object in the Object Browser, and do investigation to determine what is different between what you have mapped in NameMapping and how the object appears in the Object Browser.  That is going to take work... but it is how you, generally, solve this problem.

That said, the patch that is available is for FireFox version 60.  Now, whether or not that patch supports the detailed subversion of 60.0.1.6710 is a question directly for SmartBear support.  

Now.... you say that you "can't start the navigator".  Not sure what you mean by that.  Do you get errors in your TestComplete log?  Can you share what you're attempting to execute in order "start the navigator"? The more information you can give us of a) what you're actually doing and b) what results/errors/behaviors you're seeing, the easier it will be for us to help you.

cdosreis
    Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your answer! I have created an issue with support.

Anyhow I'm trying to execute firefox as the following without any luck

Browsers.Item("firefox").Run("about:blank")
    Browsers.Item("firefox").Run
    Browsers.Item("firefox").Run "about:blank"

The estrange thing is that when I'm debugging and going step by step to see where is falling. Tc execute the command. the firefox starts but immediately tc stop working.
    On the log says "the firefox version is not supported".
    On the "additional info" says "Please check for a Firefox support patch on the support.smartbear.com web site, or use a supported Firefox version."

Hope this information helps
      tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Then it sounds like the problem is with the patch.  Again, just to be sure, you're running TC version 12.50.xxxx and you've downloaded and applied the appropriate patch from https://support.smartbear.com/downloads/testcomplete/firefox-patches/?

If so, then at this point, you have two options.

1) roll back the version of FireFox to the pure version 60 and disable automatic updating so that you can continue to work until SmartBear can update their patch 

or

2) Continue to work directly with SmartBear support and wait for an updated patch.

The reason being is that it sounds like while it is only a minor FireFox update, it could be that TestComplete still can't work with it without an appropriate patch.

cdosreis
    Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Apparently there was an error deploying the patch for firefox 60. I've downloaded the new patch and now firefox is launching again, but TC still doesn't recognize the OK button from the confirm windows.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Have you remapped the button or edited the existing mapping to match the new FireFox version?

cdosreis
    Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

I have deleted the existing mapping for OK button. Then I have tried to map it again and in theory it works. Well when I select the object on the screen, the spy object shows the new name of the mapping but the problem is when I try to verify the object on the screen and hit the highlight button then TC says "cannot highlight the object on screen"