Forum Discussion

Tony_Wu
New Contributor
13 years ago

Licensing: TestComplete for a Lab environment

Hi there,

just what to see what's the cost-effective modal if I need to have testcomplete run for a lba environment.

I knew we have Node-locked and floating license. here are some of my questions:

1. floating license support both developing/debugging testcases and running testcases with testcomplete?

2. for lab machines, we can have testexecute license then good enough?

3. should we have 1 testexecute license for each lab machine?

4. as it is lab machine, the machine will be regularly restore with different OS (like Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP on a rotate order), shall we need multi TE license for this machine? in other words, is TE license associated with physical machine only? or, sometimes, when we replace the machine, can we re-deploy this license to a new machine? to be more clear, we can only keep only one instance of one TE license alive when running in a lab?

5. if we buy several TE license, then we should have to buy at least 1 TC license which can also work as license manager?

as my team is evaluating TC and TE, and possible to deploy it into our testing lab. looking forward to seeing your feedback soon.

thanks!

Tony Wu

4 Replies

Anonymous

Hi Tony,

1. floating license support both developing/debugging testcases and running testcases with testcomplete?

The license type doesn't affect the TestComplete functionality. Creating, debugging and executing tests are available in both TestComplete Floating User and TestComplete Node-Locked User. With a Floating User license, you can activate the license on a server and run tests on different computers. You will be restricted only by the number of the product instances that can be launched simultaneously.

2. for lab machines, we can have testexecute license then good enough? 

TestExecute can run TestComplete tests. You cannot create or debug tests with the product.

3. should we have 1 testexecute license for each lab machine?

One TestExecute license means that you can launch one product instance. As the TestExecute license type is Floating, the product can be used on any computer in your network.

4. as it is lab machine, the machine will be regularly restore with different OS (like Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP on a rotate order), shall we need multi TE license for this machine? in other words, is TE license associated with physical machine only? or, sometimes, when we replace the machine, can we re-deploy this license to a new machine? to be more clear, we can only keep only one instance of one TE license alive when running in a lab?

According to your setup, I recommend that you follow the steps below:

1. Choose a computer that will keep the TestExecute license (the License Manager PC).

2. Activate the product license key there.

3. Install TestExecute on the computers in your LAN where tests are supposed to be executed.

4. Launch TestExecute - the product will determine whether there is an activated license in the LAN and obtain the license from the License Manager PC.

This allows you not to worry about licenses if the system needs to be reformatted.

5. if we buy several TE license, then we should have to buy at least 1 TC license which can also work as license manager? 

I'm now quite sure that I understand your question correctly. TestComplete and TestExecute can have different license keys. However, both products can be activated on one License Manager PC. If this is not what you need, please correct me.
    Tony_Wu
    New Contributor
    Tanya,

thanks for your quick reply.

it looks clear to me now, one more question: should we buy license manager seperately? if I buy 1 TC + 3 TE license.

thanks!

Tony
    Tony_Wu
    New Contributor
    Tanya,

thanks for your quick reply.

it looks clear to me now, one more question: should we buy license manager seperately? if I buy 1 TC + 3 TE license.

thanks!

Tony
    Anonymous

Hi Tony,

The License Manger utility is shipped along with our products. You don't need to pay for it.