Forum Discussion

AKapoor
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Issue with Object Identifying and Name Mapping

Objects identification in Test Complete is behaving differently than earlier recorded tests for the same application.

It is not identifying list items individually rather than highlighting frame only and hence name mapping is being done accordingly. Instead of mapping individual items, it maps frame only.

I am using v11 now and when record new test, it behaves differently while when open earlier recorded test for same application, it identifies object differently.

Is there any setting that I am missing? As far I know I have not done any specific settings in the test complete.

Any suggestions please, I want to have behavior like earlier recorded scripts so that can look for individual items but new tests giving me hard time.

• OK... I THINK I see where the problem is.

Go to the project where it's working correctly.  Go to Project -> Properties -> Open Applications -> MSAA.  There are a couple of things to check there.

First of all, look to see if your component is listed there in MSAA.  Second of all, there is a check box at the bottom of the screen about working in a compatible mode.  Figure out what that's checked as.

On the one that's "working" there is a property for NativeMSAA which tells me that, in that project, MSAA is configured to recognize this component.  In the project where this is NOT working, there is no NativeMSAA property so apparently something is different there.

13 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What type of application are you testing? What language/environment is it compiled in? What version of TC were you running before? 

There have been changes from version to version for a number of different things in TestComplete. However, if the list item was working properly before, it should work now. It just may be that there are a few configurations you need to change.

AKapoor
      Occasional Contributor

It's a desktop application and compiled in .Net.

Earlier scripts were recorded by someone else on TC v10 but If I open the same project and record new test with latest test complete v11, it behaves like old script and identify the all list objects. However, if I create new project under same suite and record exact same test, it behaves differently and identifies frame as new name mapping gets created for new project. 

From application point of view, there is no change. It is working the same way with both test complete versions.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

My guess is that there are some settings in your project properties on your original project that enable some stuff with the Open Application. 

What kind of control is it that you are dealing with?  My guess (and this is just a guess) is that this is not a "standard" control but that someone, in the TC 10 project, had to add the control to the Object Mapping on the project. (Project -> Properties -> Object Mapping). In the TC 11 project where you are doing your recording, that has not been set and so you are not seeing the control being treated properly.