13 years ago

Issue With Capturing the Objects using Test Complete 8.5

Hi,

I am working with Test Complete 8.5 Tool Trial version to Automate an
Windows Application developed in .NET 3.5. While I tried to capture a control
using the tool, I faced a problem which I have shown in the image uploaded with
this mail. The task is to automate the MUS Planning from the Menu bar in my
application. But when I used the Tool to capture that Menu, I’m unable to get
that particular Menu Item. Instead, I’m getting the whole Menu Bar.

What am I supposed to do to automate that every menu items
separately and do automate it. Is there any Patch files or Add-Ins to be
installed to capture the control objects separately.

Please
help me with this.

6 Replies

udhayas
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Robert Martin,

Thanks for the reply. But, I'm not only facing the problem with that Menu. I facing the problem with all the controls in the application form. The problem is like, whenever I hover my mouse to any control I want in the application, I'm only able to capture the whole row neither the particular control. I have shown that in the image uploaded. Please find it and help me with this. In all these images, I'm just trying to capture any one control, but what I'm getting is all the whole row.

Thanks,

Udhay S.
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    the same thing holds true.  You're dealing with the MainMenu with a set of items.  You need to capture the menu as you have indicated, but then you interact with the items on the menu.  They are not items you can inspect and capture but an array in a property of the menu object.
    udhayas
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

I tried capturing the menu bar in my application and checked the properties of that menu. The childcount property was '0'. Can you refer me which property should I use to get the menu item value or count value.

And I tried working as given in the example from the link which you have referred. It was also not able to click on that particular menu, instead it was searching for that menu item.

The full name I got when captured the menu is given here. 

"Sys.Process("idea").Window("Afx:*", "IDEA", 1).Window("XTPDockBar", "xtpBarTop", 1).Window("XTPToolBar", "Menu Bar", 11)"

Thanks,

Udhay.
    HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Udhay,

Your tested application seems to use the CodeJock menu and toolbar controls. TestComplete doesn't currently support these controls, but you can achieve better object identification by enabling MSAA for these controls. For this purpose, go to Tools > Current Project Properties > Open Applications > MSAA, add the following class names to the list and select the check box next to them:

XTPDockBar

XTPToolBar

After that, TestComplete should be able to identify and record the individual menu and toolbar items.

By the way, you can vote for adding extended support for CodeJock controls here:

http://support.smartbear.com/products/more-info/testcomplete-survey/

I'd also recommend that you update to the latest version of TestComplete, which is currently 8.70.
    udhayas
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Helen Kosova,

Thanks for the reply. Using the way you wrote have worked in my application. This is exactly what I want.

Thanks

Udhay