Forum Discussion

abu_abraham
New Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

InstallShield Wizard in Win 8 not shown in Object browser

i am trying to automated the installation of an application in Win 8. i recently upgraded TestComplete license to 9.3 from 8.7, because Win 8 is compatible. But, i am not able to map any objects in the Install Shield wizard dialog. i found this problem only with Win 8.

Just wanted to know if Win 8 is fully compatilble with Win 8, i am running Win 8 as a virtual machine, does this have anything to do with this .
  • Hi Abu,

Just a quick idea: have you started TestComplete 'As Administrator' via the right-click menu over the shortcut?

6 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Abu,

Just a quick idea: have you started TestComplete 'As Administrator' via the right-click menu over the shortcut?
  • Something that you may or may not know already ...

I always create a desktop shortcut of such applications and check the 'Run this program as admin' checkbox under the Privilege Level group in the Compatibility tab of the shortcut properties window.

This is very convenient ... not only does this save clicks, it also saves a lot of time debugging/investigating issues which were caused simply because the software was not launched as admin.

Hope this helps.

- GJ
  • i tried to spy some object in some other installation wizards, the same problem. Could anyone confirm that Win 8 compatibility is stil incomplete in TC9.3, because i don't face any problems like this in xp, vista or 7.
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for your response. i am able to run the tests now. Just wondering, is it recommended to run "As Administrator" always or is it just for Win8.

Thanks again.

regards

Abu