Forum Discussion

jose_pita
Super Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

IE11 settings so that only one Page("*") appears

Hi There,

Now with IE 11 and TC 10 I'm having issues with the Page object on IE.

I already went through all the settings SmartBear suggests but Page("about:blank") and BrowserWindow(0) keep appearing and messing up my tests (I use Sys.Browser.Page("*").... to find my objects).

I know I can change it to Sys.Browser.Page("http://*") but I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem and if there's a solution for this.

The problem seems to be that inside BrowserWindow(0) sometimes there's a copy of my page and this messes up with TC
  • Hi, and thanks for the suggestions.

I will try the registry suggestion, but for IE8 to IE10 works out-of-the box, without having to do anything special. Only problem is with IE11. I will try however adding the registry key, although as far as I understand from that post, changing that registry will only make sure the IE will display only 1 process. 

But will give it a try and let you know the results.

Thanks.

16 Replies

• Ok, just tried the registry thing and it's not working.

@Jose PitaDo you happen to remember which settings?  If not, I'm guessing Smartbear support should be aware of this, as it's a serios IE11 compatibility issue.

Anonymous support:: any solutions for this?

Thanks, 

Andrei
    rgratis
    Frequent Contributor
    The extra Page("about:blank") entries are also driving me nuts, and no matter how I play with the settings, there seems to always be one extra one hanging when I'm opening/closing tabs.  If you wait long enough, the extra Page will disappear, but it makes doing things like counting the open tabs or finding a tab with any URL very difficult.

The link Tanya provided above indicates that IE11 is now supported, so it would be great to get some help here...
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

This is one of the specifics in IE 11. Our team investigated this and made the corresponding notes in the help documentation:

After closing a tab in Internet Explorer 11 or navigating a tab to another page, the old Page object may remain in the browser’s object hierarchy for some time. This is the actual lifetime of browser tab objects in Internet Explorer.

A similar question is discussed on the Microsoft forum here

In the meantime, it's better to use Page("PermamentURL") rather than Page("*") to access the needed page. 

• Hi, 

I understand I should use the permanent URL in this case, but when I am on page A and try to navigate on page B (in the same tab), I automatically have 2 page object in ObjectBrowser (object page A and object page B).

The test correctly takes me to page B, but it also creates the page object of page B (different than page A). So, instead of using the new object created (for page B), TestComplete exepcts the object for page A to turn into object page B, which never happens, and my test fails when navigating to a different URL.

Any solutions for this?

Thanks, 

Andrei

• Using a permanent URL is not a feasible solution for us. Our URL is very dynamic. Is there any headway with this issue? Also, I was not seeing this until today. I did something with my settings, trying to fix a different issue and now it is happening. I have no clue what I did!!!
  • @Veronica, 

I found that if I update IE10 to IE11, my tests work fine as long as I don't do a IE 11 reset.

However, after the IE11 reset, the issues appear. 

Hope this somehow helps you.

Andrei