Forum Discussion

vinodtc
Contributor
11 years ago

How to identify object is Blinking?

Hi,

How to identify whether object is bliking on UI by using TC. Currently I am using TC 9.3.

Regards,

Vinod

8 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Vinod,

While all recommendations provided by others are quite relevant and it is not easy to think out something really different, in your case, first of all, I would appreciate if you let us know what application you are testing and blinking of what object you'd like to check.

Assuming that you are testing web application in the browser and trying to check blinking of some image, my personal opinion is that you are triyng to test non-relevant thing.

Indeed, are you verifying that browser can display blinking image? I guess you are not. Are you checking that properly created image will be displayed as blinking under all OSes? Again, I think that you are not.

What I think is worth to be verified is:

a) The file contains correct blinking image(s); and

b) Expected file is displayed in the browser.

Point a) can be verified manually and only once when creating a test. Then the correct file can be stored in the TestComplete Stores as the expected master file. To verify point b), you may, during the test execution, get the full name of the file from the page source, get the file from the web server and binary compare it with the expected master from the Stores. If the files are different, this can be reported as a failure in the log for future test result investigation.
    maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    You can use:

Region.Compare - allows you to choose the type of message that goes to the log so you specify "lmNone"

or

Picture.Compare - returns true/false and does not post to the log at all

• Thank u all for responses.

I have tried your Picture.Compare solution. When I compare with image, in 100 times only once in a while it is matching with actual getting pass. All other times it is failing.

What I am thinking is comparison should be successful more often like in 100 times, at lease 10 times should be successful.

Regards,

Vinod

maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    Alex, very fair points. Perhaps those ideas are better depending on what Vinod is doing.

Vinod, perhaps check over a period of time depending on the frequency of the flashing. So if it is flashing 2x per second then over 3 seconds, if you're running the check 4x per second ,it should fail most of the time. It's something you will have to get a feel for. But really if it fails even once the image must be changing. Otherwise, if it is a control that is flashing perhaps you can check an object property state which will imply the flashing is occuring and then assume the check succeeded.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi,

> Otherwise, if it is a control that is flashing perhaps you can check an object property state which will imply the flashing is occuring and then assume the check succeeded.

Yes, exactly so. If it is a control that is not flashing but must flash after some action, than Vinod should consult with developers how they are making control to flash and check corresponding property before and after flashing is triggered.

I believe that from time to time they will either watch how the test is running or do the same test manually, so if the automated test reports control as flashing but the flashing will not be observed visually, this will mean the internal problem of control.
  • Hi Alex,

Currently I am working on stand alone application which was developed with JavaFx Controls.

Scenario:

After doing some actions, one required object  will be displayed on home screen. On this object time will be show and continuously laps for 8 minutes. once time reaches to 0.00, object stars blinking.

Validation point is after 8 min, whether object is blinking or not.

We have very less access to developers. I have verified different properties of object and could not figure out exact property which making control to flash.

Regards,

Vinod