Forum Discussion

MiaChia
New Contributor
2 years ago

How to downgrade Chrome 113 to 112 as Smartbear is suggesting for TestComplete?

What is the best way to downgrade to Google Chrome 112? 

5 Replies

mfoster711
    Regular Contributor

I have been trying to figure out how to prevent updates to Chrome and Edge and I have also tried to see if we can download to an older version. While there appears to be options, all of the options require the use of Windows Group Policy Editor settings which appears to only work if your PC is part of a domain. Our test network is setup as a Workgroup and is not on a domain.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

If I remember correctly, having Workgroup accounts offer its users greater control over their computers. Whereas Domain account users have different levels of privileges and access rights where control is centralised by a domain controller.

If you are able to install a previous version, disable the following tasks

• Hey,

here is more info: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7125792?hl=en#zippy=%2Cbefore-you-begin%2Cstep-optional-contact-support%2Cstep-downgrade-chrome

Here is also the python script to automate downgrading Chrome to v112. NOTE: It's only for 64bit OS

import os
    import winreg
    import requests
    import zipfile

def uninstall_chrome():
        # Find the uninstall string for Chrome
        chrome_key = winreg.OpenKey(winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\Google Chrome")
        uninstall_string, _ = winreg.QueryValueEx(chrome_key, "UninstallString")
        winreg.CloseKey(chrome_key)

# Run the uninstall string to remove Chrome
        os.system(uninstall_string + " /S")

def install_chrome(version):
        # Download the Chrome installer for the specified version
        url = f"https://dl.google.com/chrome/install/{version}/chrome_installer.exe"
        response = requests.get(url)
        with open("chrome_installer.exe", "wb") as f:
            f.write(response.content)

# Run the installer with silent mode and wait for the installation to complete
        os.system("chrome_installer.exe /silent /install")
        os.remove("chrome_installer.exe")

def disable_auto_update():
        # Create the registry key to disable auto-updates
        key = winreg.CreateKey(winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Google\\Update")
        winreg.SetValueEx(key, "AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes", 0, winreg.REG_DWORD, 0)
        winreg.CloseKey(key)

def main():
        # Uninstall the current version of Chrome
        uninstall_chrome()

# Install Chrome version 112
        install_chrome("112.0.0.0")

# Disable auto-updates for Chrome
        disable_auto_update()

if __name__ == "__main__":
        main()

Best regards,

Pawel Mularczyk

SmartBear

Product Manager for Test Complete

mfoster711
      Regular Contributor

The first line in that article states "For Google Workspace and Chrome Browser Enterprise Support customers only".

I am neither. 

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I doubt many QAs/Testers will be customers of Google Chrome. They are more likely to be end-users, and will come across this error

Suggestion - It might be best to have a link where users can download Chrome v112 from SmartBear website? Providing the end users have appropriate permissions to uninstall/install Chrome! Also, majority may not have Python installed to run the script!