Forum Discussion

kokonek
New Contributor
24 days ago

How to Detect a Loading Cursor

Hi! I am automating a application that has uneven timeouts to load object, sometimes it takes 2 seconds to load an object and others almost 20 seconds. Instead of adding delays that will make my automation runs very long I was wondering if there was a why to detect a spinning loading cursor icon either via an operation or a script. Since the loading cursor is the only constant between all runs I think it's the only way to stabilize my automation unless someone has a better idea?

Loading Cursor looks like this:

• I have experimented with identifying the current cursor.  While it is theoretically possible in Windows applications I would advise against that approach.
    The suggestions for using a WaitWindow or WaitProperty are the best way to go.  As suggested, you can wait for a particular control (e.g. button) to become enabled with WaitProperty.  Alternatively, you may wait for a new window/dialog to open with WaitWindow if that applies to your situation.  

Here is a VBScript example where I've waited up to 2.5s for a button to become enabled before proceeding:

Call o_SavBtn.WaitProperty("Enabled",True,2500) 'Wait for the button to be enabled

Below is some VB code from my attempt using the Win32 API to identify the current mouse cursor in case you want to go down that rabbit hole (not advised).  This is from several years ago.  I can't remember if I ever got it working.

Function getCurrentCursor(wndObj)
      Dim pid, tid, crsr     
      pid = Win32API.GetWindowThreadProcessId(wndObj.Handle, Nothing)
      tid = Win32API.GetCurrentThreadId
      Call Win32API.AttachThreadInput(pid, tid, True)
      crsr = Win32API.GetCursor
      Call Win32API.AttachThreadInput(pid, tid, False)
      getCurrentCursor = crsr
    End Function

Function getCursorType(id, global_cache)
      Dim res
      res = id
      Select Case id
        Case 65541 res = "Arrow"
        Case 65541 res = "Move"
        Case 429134809 res = "Horizontal resize"
        Case 13569245 res = "Motor"
        Case 25758991 res = "Utility"
        Case 256118743 res = "Bus"
        Case Else res = "Other"
      End Select
      getCursorType = res  
    End Function

• Don't know about the loading cursor, and not sure it would solve your problem.

You are right about adding wait, it would unnecessarily slow down, and would not guaranty to wait long enough. There are multiple things you need to combine depending on each situation.

I suggest adding element property wait or property check of an object that you need to wait for to become ready(Exists, Ready, VisibleOnScreen); In addition, you could up individual actions Auto-Wait Time. 

Waiting for Object State Changes | TestComplete Documentation (smartbear.com)
    Set Auto-Wait Timeout Dialog | TestComplete Documentation (smartbear.com)

• I have experimented with identifying the current cursor.  While it is theoretically possible in Windows applications I would advise against that approach.
    The suggestions for using a WaitWindow or WaitProperty are the best way to go.  As suggested, you can wait for a particular control (e.g. button) to become enabled with WaitProperty.  Alternatively, you may wait for a new window/dialog to open with WaitWindow if that applies to your situation.  

Here is a VBScript example where I've waited up to 2.5s for a button to become enabled before proceeding:

Call o_SavBtn.WaitProperty("Enabled",True,2500) 'Wait for the button to be enabled

Below is some VB code from my attempt using the Win32 API to identify the current mouse cursor in case you want to go down that rabbit hole (not advised).  This is from several years ago.  I can't remember if I ever got it working.

Function getCurrentCursor(wndObj)
      Dim pid, tid, crsr     
      pid = Win32API.GetWindowThreadProcessId(wndObj.Handle, Nothing)
      tid = Win32API.GetCurrentThreadId
      Call Win32API.AttachThreadInput(pid, tid, True)
      crsr = Win32API.GetCursor
      Call Win32API.AttachThreadInput(pid, tid, False)
      getCurrentCursor = crsr
    End Function

Function getCursorType(id, global_cache)
      Dim res
      res = id
      Select Case id
        Case 65541 res = "Arrow"
        Case 65541 res = "Move"
        Case 429134809 res = "Horizontal resize"
        Case 13569245 res = "Motor"
        Case 25758991 res = "Utility"
        Case 256118743 res = "Bus"
        Case Else res = "Other"
      End Select
      getCursorType = res