Forum Discussion

rasool_saheb
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Delphi Debug Mode

Hi,

I have a Delphi application and need help on below queries:

1.Is it mandatory to enable .exe file in debug mode to identify all the objects?

2.Once we enable debug mode ,for each change(Hot Fix\Release ) we will have to enable the debug mode?

3.If I execute same application in different environment,do we need to enable debug mode?

4.Once we develop the scripts , can we execute the scripts without enabling debug mode?

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Rasool

• 1. No. But certain native properties and methods won't be available without it. (eg. Some of the grids & trees I work with would be impossible to manipulate and read properly without the extra's the debug version gives me).

2. Yes. Our build is automatically configured to produce two builds of the Delphi EXE's I test. One for the normal testers, one for me.

3. Yes. If you want to continue to access the things debug mode exposes. Although, you produce a build using debug options. Once you have a build with debug enabled, you can install it wherever you like. You don't need to "enable" it post build. All this happens in the compiler.

4. Same as above. If you run scripts that use properties not available outside debug mode, then they won't be available unless the EXE is compiled that way.

2 Replies

• 1. No. But certain native properties and methods won't be available without it. (eg. Some of the grids & trees I work with would be impossible to manipulate and read properly without the extra's the debug version gives me).

2. Yes. Our build is automatically configured to produce two builds of the Delphi EXE's I test. One for the normal testers, one for me.

3. Yes. If you want to continue to access the things debug mode exposes. Although, you produce a build using debug options. Once you have a build with debug enabled, you can install it wherever you like. You don't need to "enable" it post build. All this happens in the compiler.

4. Same as above. If you run scripts that use properties not available outside debug mode, then they won't be available unless the EXE is compiled that way.

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

hi,

it's not obvious that an application compiled with debug info (for automatised tests) will behave like the same but without debug info (for sell)

even if it's a real pain to script with delphi exe without debug info, I think I have to deal with that.