Forum Discussion

michelleunique
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Delay VS Auto-wait

We're working with older software and finding long load times to be a problem while using TestComplete. We're using delays and auto-wait to manage the issue, but I'm still foggy on the difference between the two, and more specifically -- which situations are better suited for the use of each option.  I don't have a programming background, and I'd appreciate any clarification anyone might offer on this. 

Thanks in advance. 

• I don't have a programming background either but to my knowledge.

Auto-wait waits until the action can be preformed (up to specified time).

So when you set auto-wait to 40s and after 10s its ready TC will continue with the test,

Delays waits the specified time and no more no less. 

So when you set delays to 40s and after 10s its ready TC will wait for another 30s.

3 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

In this example, the difference being one keyword test has 5 actions (delay set in project) and the other keyword test has 10 actions (which includes delays)

Both do the same thing.

If your loading times vary, and there's some sort of indication that it's loaded, such as a dialog box, button being enabled etc. Then it's best to have code that waits and checks the status of that dialog box or button being visible or enabled.

MW_Didata
    Regular Contributor

I don't have a programming background either but to my knowledge.

Auto-wait waits until the action can be preformed (up to specified time).

So when you set auto-wait to 40s and after 10s its ready TC will continue with the test,

Delays waits the specified time and no more no less. 

So when you set delays to 40s and after 10s its ready TC will wait for another 30s.