Forum Discussion

ChrisKudla
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Compiling With Debug Agent

We have just recently upgarded to TestComplete 7 from a much older version (2).

We use Delphi 2009 and VCL Dev Express ExpressBars 6. It now seems that unless we compile our software with the Debug Agent, we cannot set up scripts to access the variuos menu options. My developer is reluctant to embark on this project as it seems it wwill increase memory usage and make the dll's & bpl's larger. Is this the case or does the utility that strips out the TDS info sort out this issue?

Also how confident can we be the the software will behave in the same way once this info is stripped out. We will no longer be able to test the software on TestComplete as we have done before every final release in the past.

I'm sorry if these are silly questions but I need to establish the facts to revert back to the developer.

Chris

www.omniaccounts.co.za

6 Replies

• Hi Chris,

Yes, the StripTDS utility should help you to make your files smaller. Please note that Delphi 2009 has a similar utility with the same functionality: tdstrp32.exe. You can use this standard utility in case you do not trust our utility.

Also how confident can we be the software will behave in the same way once this info is stripped out.
    Please see the How StripTDS Modifies Binary Modules section of the About StripTDS help topic.
    ChrisKudla
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi David

Many thanks for your reply. Will check out the Delphi utility as well.

Regarding the overhead memory usegae and possible speed degradtion when using Debug Agent, this also concerns us, as when trying to address speed issues in the software, we then are comparing a released version without the Debug Agent overheads to the WIP version which has those overheads, thus making it difficult to see speed improvements or otherwise. It seems somewhat laborious to have to use the StripTDS utility each time, in the development & testing phase,  to be able to make valid comparisions.

At present the main issue with Testcomplete is the menu options, which are impossibly slow when using keyboard simulations. Our menus also drive off ActionLists. Is there no way of accessing the actionlist objects with TestComplete without having to use the Debug Agent?

Regards

Chris

www.omniaccounts.co.za

• Hi Chris,

Without using the Debug Agent, TestComplete can see only published native methods and properties. So, there is a workaround: create a helper object that will contain published wrapper methods and properties providing access to the needed information within your application. You can return an instance of this object via a published property of the form object.

Since you are testing the memory consumption and speed performance of your application, could you please tell me the difference between your application's release build and debug build containing the debug information? If you have not tested this yet, do this and share your results with us. I am guessing that you will not face a noticeable difference.
    ChrisKudla
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi

My developer has created a method under the 'published' section of the main form in the Delphi app. However using Object Browser, this published method is still not visible to TestComplete.  

Under the Delphi Project options for the app, under Compiling, we have Debug information set to True.  

Regards

Chris Kudla

ChrisKudla
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi

Just something else, we use 'Build with Runtime Packages' when we compile. It is not feasible for us to change this.

Regards

Chris