Forum Discussion

KamilS
Regular Visitor
8 months ago

Blocking access to TestCompete for perpetual licenses users after September 2023.

Hi,

Some time ago, the company I work for was contacted by a SmartBear representative to inform us that in order to continue using TestCompete we need to transfer our licenses from the HASP server to SLM. While I can understand the need to switch to a new type of license, I do not understand why my company should pay for it - a SmartBear representative informed us that because we do not have the support option purchased, we cannot migrate the license for free, and instead we have to purchase the product again, but in a subscription model, which of course involves significant costs that the company obviously does not want to incur.

Is there any sensible solution to this situation?

Maybe there was some miscommunications between SmartBear representative and us?

5 Replies

• Same case here, we bought "perpetual licences", but now we need to pay because they are changing the licencing method...

eykxas
    Regular Contributor

I'm in the same case. I have a TC with HASP currently installed on a machine (perpetual licence). But if I want to move this install on another machine, I can't...

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Hi,

Maybe there was some miscommunications between SmartBear representative and us?

I think yes, there was.

It is my understanding that all perpetual key-based licenses should continue to work. One might appear to be not able to transfer node-locked license because this requires license deactivation and creation of a new key-based license which is declared to be not supported now. But I believe that all previous setups should continue to work.

Once again - this is my personal understanding and belief. Those who have active maintenance support can migrate to new id-based license for no additional costs.

eykxas
    Regular Contributor

Maybe the manual activation procedure is still available ?

Could anyone at Smartbear confirm this?