Forum Discussion

gentlesea
Frequent Contributor
13 years ago

Any possibility to disable the new debugger?

Since upgrading to TestComplete 9.0 the following problems occured:

1. Drop-Down box for functions does not work always

2. Debugging is gotten more unstable (seems that the own script
    debugger does not work well when having breakpoints hit and the Locals window
    open)

3. Bookmark 0 cannot be set by pressing Ctrl-Shift-0, from Bookmark
    1 up to 9 this works

4. Crashes when a file was modified in another editor and the dialog
    that prompts for reloading appears 

Is there any possibility to disable the new debugger? Working with a product that crashes on every second run is not productive.

2 Replies

gentlesea
    Frequent Contributor
    After rollback to TestComplete 8.7 I noticed that 3.) also happens there
    AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Ernst,

It is not possible to disable the debugger, and it is built into the TestComplete scripting engine.

I failed to reproduce the issues you mention. You didn't write about the scripting language you used, so I played a little with my JScript code, and the debugger worked fine. So, at the moment, it's difficult for me to say what is wrong.

>> Drop-Down box for functions does not work always

Do you mean you cannot invoke the Code Completion window? Does it appear when you press Ctrl+Space?

>> Bookmark 0 cannot be set by pressing Ctrl-Shift-0, from Bookmark 1 up to 9 this works

Most likely, you are using Windows 7 or Vista. Here is a quote from the Bookmarks topic of the TestComplete help:

----

On Windows Vista and Windows 7, the Shift-Ctrl-0 combination is a reserved shortcut that lets you switch the input language. So, if you are using one of these operating systems, you can set the 0 bookmark via the context menu or specify another shortcut for switching the input language. For information on how to change it, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967893.

----

>> Crashes when a file was modified in another editor and the dialog that prompts for reloading appears

I failed to reproduce this issue. TestComplete does not reload the script unit that was changed during the debugging. However, as far as I can see, this does not cause any errors or exceptions. TestComplete simply marks this unit with a little red square icon in the Project Explorer. When you move the mouse cursor to it, the Project Explorer displays a balloon that says that the file was changed, but has not been reloaded. After I reloaded the unit, everything was fine. Perhaps, I didn't do things the way you did, as you didn't provide a detailed description. If you post the steps to reproduce the problem here, I can follow your scenario.

>> Debugging is gotten more unstable (seems that the own script debugger does not work well when having breakpoints hit and the Locals window open)

Could you please clarify what you mean? Does TestComplete fail to update variable values? Does an error occur? Is it frozen?