Forum Discussion

theraud-g
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Aliases in Keywords OnScreenActions are automatically removed

Hi.

I mapped my application using conditional find.

At first, I thought this feature would be awesome. After couple of days, it is more a painful than expected.

On one hand, when I call the Highlight on screen on an alias, the expected object is highlighted. Wow !

On the other hand, within keywords, I want to use the point and fix method. When I point the previous highlighted  object, TestComplete does not detect my alias and prompt something like :

• Aliases.theBrowser.panelContent.Panel(0).Fieldset(0).Panel(0).Panel(0)...

I assume this is due to some bottom to top recognition issue in Aliases (see my previous post: http://community.smartbear.com/forum/post/?mode=singleThread&thread=dd919c33-b341-4189-99a5-206cb7a6ffd9). This should definitely be solved by the way.

My main concern now is to be able to work with those Aliases within Keyword.

It seems that aliases would work perfectly in script, but I can't afford to loose keywords features.

Moreover, even though I write (or paste) the alias of the object I want to use in my OnScreenAction, TestComplete switch to my program, look for my alias, and prompt me back

• Aliases.theBrowser.panelContent.Panel(0).Fieldset(0).Panel(0).Panel(0).PasswordBox("pwb")

while I wrote :

• Aliases.theBrowser.panelContent.fsIden.pwdBox

Am I doing something wrong ?

How can I force TestComplete not to update OnScreenActions parameters with what I computed, but keep what the user gave him ?

Finally, it appears to me that those features should be implemented. If this is not the case, SmartBear should add it in the request databases or increase its severity.

Thanks.

1 Reply

• Hello Jean,

A similar recognition problem has been fixed in TestComplete 8.70.

Right now, I cannot reproduce the problem when the Conditional Mode is used - TestComplete correctly identifies the needed control when I am selecting it with the Object Spy while adding an On-Screen Action to my Keyword test.

Could you please upgrade to version 8.70, and check whether the problem is still there. If it is, then I will apparently need some more details about the issue, since my current scenario does not reveal the problem. So, if you could demonstrate the problem with a standard application like Notepad, that would b great.

I am looking forward to hearing from you!