Forum Discussion

coloncm
New Contributor
13 years ago

Unsupported SCM System or Client

I've used Code Collaborator 5.0.21 on Windows environment using VS 2008 SP1 and coding C# on TFS 2008 for a few years without any problems. Just recently, I've moved into Red Hat Linux 5.5 using eclipse 3.2 and coding Java 1.6, also on TFS 2008, via TFS Eclipse plug-in 10.1, and with Code Collaborator eclipse plugin 5.0.21, hoping our environment process wouldn't change much. On my first attempt at testing the code collaborator plug-in's creation of a new review, all seemed just as usual until I got a "Some of the files you have selected are managed by an SCM System or SCM client that is not supported by this version of Code Collaborator. They will be treated as uncontrolled files."

My guess is that it is not Java on Linux what's not the problem, but the updated version of the so-called TFS eclipse plugin. I've searched your site with no similar issues without results. Could I used an old version of the TFS eclipse plug-in (Teamprise) without problems, or am I now required to upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

3 Replies

coloncm
    New Contributor
    In case there isn't enough information, I thought I'd add this in.

I tried reverting to the Linux version of the GUI client software to add a review. On my
    first configuration attempt, I noticed that there were no interactive buttons for adding changes, change sets or shelve sets. I suspect that it could not find files with SCM configuration data from the project path I have downloaded unto my Linux box using the TFS eclipse plug-in. So, I tried specifying the SCM as being TFS and its server name as only option (since there is no "tfs-exe" file on my Linux box) with passing validation.

The problem came when I tried adding a changed file to a new or existing review. I got a "Executable 'tf' is missing (not on the path).", though it continues as normal, but continues displaying this error on follow-on interactions, to ultimately cancelling out.

If there is no workaround for eclipse plug-in, I'm willing to live with the GUI client software, but I can't get neither to work. What am I suppose to enter on SCM specific options on the Edit SCM Configuration window?

Help?

Carlos
    ebrown_1
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Carlos,

Regardless of whether you eventually run with the Eclipse plugin or not, first let's get the Code Collaborator GUI client working with TFS on your system.  The Code Collaborator TFS integration uses the Teamprise command line client, tf.  It needs to either be in the system path, or be specified in your SCM configuration in the client (the tfs-exe parameter).  The Validate button in your SCM configuration for TFS will verify that tf executes as expected.  It is possible your new Teamprise installation does not include the tf command line client?  The same applies to running under Windows - the tf.exe must either be on the path, or be specified in the Code Collaborator configuration for TFS.

Perhaps your new Teamprise installation does not have the tf command line client?  Let me know if that's the case.

Eric
    coloncm
    New Contributor
    Thanks for responding.

Good point. It turns out that there is a Cross-platform Command-line Client for Team Foundation Server version 10, and it does contain the "tf" executable. I'll give that a try and get back here.