Forum Discussion

Hloni
Occasional Contributor
12 months ago

test complete

What can I do to test and automate test faster, and also troubleshoot better. I'm okay at reading and understanding the errors but when it comes to small issues like the keyword tests stuttering or not reproducing the tests perfectly I dont know how to troubleshoot and resolve the issues. Are there any videos that focus strictly on debugging or troubleshooting minor or major issues?

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

No videos specifically, but some tips that I've learned over the years.

1) Double clicking on an error in the log will take you to the line of code or step in your keyword test that generated the error.  Start there.  Is there something wrong with that step?  Is there a mapped object that needs to be updated?

2) Drop a break point before the problematic piece of code to pause the automation prior to the issue.  Then, slowly step through the automation and make sure every step is completed as expected.  Pay special attention to page loads/form loads/refreshes that occur and verify that you have code to handle such things

3) Add log entries at various points around the trouble area so that, when you are running the automation at speed, you can track what it's doing when and determine if there's something happening that is not easily observable

4) Lastly, sit and watch.  Start the automation and watch it carefully.  Pay attention to what is being done where and the other effects on screen.  Are there dialogs coming up that are interfering that you're not expecting? Do appication redraws/refreshes occur when you're not expecting?  Are controls enabled appropriately after you perform an action or is there a slight delay?

These are the things that I do when I troubleshoot stuff that is not "obvious".

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

There's plenty of good information in the TestComplete Documentation help, such as Handling Playback Errors. The more errors you come across, the better you will be at diagnosing and resolving issues. 

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

We can also help you troubleshoot if you post about one specific issue and give us screenshots and a good description. 

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Debugging is a learned skill, Hloni .  Folks who take courses in software-development sometimes get taught it... sometimes not.  And when it comes to those of us doing test automation who are only developers by need (I learned everything on the fly), we never received direct training.  So, as Marsha_R said, we can help you with specific issues and we can help you figure out what has gone wrong and suggested solutions.  And, in the process.... you'll learn. 🙂 

Hloni
        Occasional Contributor
        Thanks makes sense.

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Disclaimer

Any views or opinions in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Rain (Pty) Ltd (Rain). No reliance may be placed on this message without written confirmation of its contents from an authorised representative. The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential and privileged. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately.