Forum Discussion

mgroen2
Super Contributor
9 years ago

running tests on Cloud machines with Node locked license and TestExcute: experiences?

Hi fellow testers,

I am thinking of implementing the following setup:

- running 1 instance of TestComplete, on 1 physical machine with 1 node locked license;

This machine is for starting and monitoring the tests on the VM's, which will run in the cloud (probably Microsoft Azure Cloud but not sure). 

- the tests are executed by TestExecute, which will be installed on the VM's. These will actually execute the tests, and are controlled by the TestComplete instance running on physical machine.

I have following questions:

1. Is this a recommended setup? Will this even work? What are the drawbacks of working with node locked license instead of floating license?

2. What are the best practices? Do you have experiences with this kind of setup? Good / Bad experiences? What are the pitfalls you have encountered?

Thanks for any thoughtful comments!

Mathijs Groen

4 Replies

• Hi Mathijs

We usually recommend when working with a VM machine to use floating as the license is then not tied to the machine and can be used cross multiple different VM's whereas Node locked is locked to that machine which can cause issues especially with VM's

Please contact your Account Manager for further information

Regards

Damien Walsh

Technical Sales Engineer

mgroen2
      Super Contributor

Hi Alex,

thanks for the tip unfortunately the article in the link about Cloud testing describes in detail how to configure and work with Amazon Cloud Service (AWS) and Automated Build Studio.

I am looking for a little more high level documentation (not too high level of course) using cloud testing in Microsoft Azure Cloud Service. And the approach should not include using Automated Build Studio (but just TestComplete and TestExecute).