Forum Discussion

lowens
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

"Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed"

Hello

i installled Test Complete 12.5 on my workstationtoday, and converted a project from 11.3.  in the new version of test complete the project gets the error "Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed" when it tries to open a ado database connection to an access database.  i can still run the old version of test complete on the old source code and it works

here is the code (i aded an * over the name of the datbase and datbase password.  the error happens on the acon.Open line

any idea why this would be happenning?

function updateRecordAccess (dbtable, dbcolumn, newvalue, wherecolumn, wherevalue)
Set aCon = ADO.CreateConnection
aCon.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;Data Source=" & projectsuite.variables.PathToData & "\*****c.mdb;Jet OLEDB:database password=*********"

aCon.Open
Set aCmd = ADO.CreateCommand
aCmd.CommandTimeout = 1000
Set aCmd.ActiveConnection = aCon
aCmd.CommandType = adCmdText
aCmd.CommandText = "update " & dbtable & " set " & dbtable & "." & dbcolumn & " = '" & newvalue & "' where " & wherecolumn & " = '" & wherevalue & "'"
aCmd.Execute
aCon.Close
updateRecordAccess = returnvalue
end function

• Starting with 12.40, TestComplete installs a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version of itself on the machine, defaulting all short-cuts to the 64-bit version.  I'm guessing that the driver for your Access Database is a 32-bit driver.  You may need to update the driver to include the 64-bit version on your worksation.

Additionally, you could change your TestComplete shortcut/execution to use the installed 32-bit driver.  Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 12\Bin and run the copy found there.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Starting with 12.40, TestComplete installs a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version of itself on the machine, defaulting all short-cuts to the 64-bit version.  I'm guessing that the driver for your Access Database is a 32-bit driver.  You may need to update the driver to include the 64-bit version on your worksation.

Additionally, you could change your TestComplete shortcut/execution to use the installed 32-bit driver.  Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 12\Bin and run the copy found there.