Forum Discussion

vthomeschoolmom
Super Contributor
10 years ago

object recognition for a WinForms Object WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.*

So I proceed with my Test Complete proof of concept work to see if this might be a tool to suggest for my organization. I am pecking through various objects, making sure I can get to them in stable ways. I have made a lot of progress through the help of you people here. So I hope this trend will continue!

I have an on screen object with the WndClass above. It is the same class as a bunch of the other objects from the same vendor. Using that class in the MSAA section of open applications has exposed many object's internals to me. The one I am currently working on is a menu. I trtied the techniques listed here

http://smartbear.com/forums/f81/t90518/object-recognition-for-winforms-objects/. The object in question has ClrFullClassName as

Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuControlTrusted

What I want is to get access into the items within the menu by name (or index if I have to).

I am looking for creative techniques. Back in the day when I was working aith a VB6 AUT, I could get into controls using ActiveX native properties and methods. Is that available for WinForm controls? Is there anything else I can do here?

Thanks

6 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Lane,

According to this article, TestComplete officially supports the Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsDockArea control. Check whether the control used in your app is shipped along with this control. If it is, you can use the Object Mapping feature to make TestComplete treat your control as the supported one.

Otherwise, you can test your control by using native properties and methods. Try exploring the control in TestComplete's Object Browser. To see all properties, make sure that you are using the Advanced View mode and showing hidden properties is allowed in TestComplete. Please refer to the "Basic and Advanced View Modes" article for details.

TanyaYatskovska
    >>Tanya has all the answers! 

Sure I don't :)

*Don't ask me about football!

• I am confused about the correct place to attempt object mapping. I placed it here:

I also tried directly under UltraToolBarsDockArea. To no avail. I cannot say that I really understand how Object Mapping works under the covers. Could its insertion position in the tree affect how the object is recognized?

Thanks
    daniel_meier
    Occasional Visitor
    Hello Lane

Did you find a solution how to select the items inside the PopupMenu?

I'm stuck in the same situation.

ClrFullClassName: Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuControlTrusted
    TanyaYatskovska
    Hi,

If you have troubles with creating a custom script for the control, I suggest that you create a sample app containing the control and post it here.

The Community could analyze the control and provide you with some ideas.