Forum Discussion

m_essaid
Valued Contributor
7 years ago

how to disable auto fill

Hi,

Since the last version when I type "quote" I have two quotes, an opening parenthetis I have the closing one, etc etc

It is really annoying.

Is there a was to disable this feature ?

Thank you,

Mehdi

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

There are many IDE's out there that have this precise feature.  The idea is to save keystrokes while editing code.  When you put in an open parenthesis, you always need a close... so, the IDE adds the close for you.  I'll admit, on the upgrade, it took me a while to get used to as well.  But I've found it very helpful to make sure that I always close every string, parent, function brace, etc.

While I understand it would be nice to turn it off, it might just be a matter of being familiar with a new way for the editor to function.  Feel free to Kudo adding the option to turn it off... but for me, I've gotten comfortable with it and it's really a rather nice feature.

m_essaid
      Valued Contributor

tristaanogre, I know sometimes we have to change our habits, but here it don't fit at all with the way I code (especially with copy/paste of code)

cunderw
      Community Hero

The problem is that the feature with quotes is broken.

If you type a single " it doesn't double them, but then when you try to close the quote it does.

Example:

1. Type: "
      2. Type Some text: "test
      3. Type: " to close the quotes and you end up with "test""

Even typing "" will result in """

Extremely frustrating. 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Ah, I see.  Yeah, closing parens, braces, brackets, etc., is working well... closing quotes... not so well.  THAT I agree needs fixed.

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

the double parenthetis cause issues also : in delphi-like script, when you type (* to begin to comment a block it writes (*)...