Forum Discussion

tachyonxv
New Contributor
15 years ago

WinFormsObject Vs Windows 7, any ideas?

I am trying to use the WinFormsObject related stuff on Windows 7. Is is not visible in the object browser and running the test does not seem to fix this. The applications appear to be showing up as standard Windows Apps without the WinForms aliases. Has anyone else got this working on Windows 7 correctly or is this some feature of TestComplete. Turning UAC off and run as Administrator dont seem to effect it.

7 Replies

• Hi Peter,

First of all, please check that the '.NET Open Application Support' plug-in is installed and enabled in TestComplete. To see the Extensions dialog in TestComplete, please select the 'File | Install Extension...' item from the main menu. 

If the extension is installed and enabled, please try to reproduce the problem with a new project.

If the problem persists, try to reproduce the problem with the sample application shipped along with the tool:

<Users>\Public\Documents\TestComplete 7 Samples\Open Apps\OrdersDemo\C#\bin\Debug\Orders.exe (Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008)

<Documents and Settings>\All Users\Documents\TestComplete 7 Samples\Open Apps\OrdersDemo\C#\bin\Debug\Orders.exe (Other operating systems)

If you can reproduce the problem on the sample application, let me know that version of TestComplete you are using ('Help | About...').

tachyonxv
    New Contributor
    Im quite sure this is a Windows 7 thing, or my PC is special now. The .net extension is definatly there. Ive updated to TestComplete 7.51(.667.7) and this still has the bug. The orders sample doesn't want to play either. It works fine on Vista though. Project Explorer does not seem to recognise it and the tests fail...
  • Hello Peter,

We failed to reproduce the problem with the Orders application on Windows 7. Try increasing the "Open Applications | General | Method invoke timeout" and "Playback | Auto-wait timeout" settings of your project to 10000 ms and see whether this solves the problem. To learn more about the options, see the "Project Properties - General Open Applications Options" and "Project Properties - Playback Options" help topics.

If the issue persists, I suppose that it is caused by some problems with .NET Framework. Please try reinstalling .NET Framework and check whether the problem persists.

averys
    Occasional Contributor
    Did anyone find a solution to this.  I am having the same issue.  I have 2 machines that are setup much the same way(they are both XP SP2 and TestComplete 7.52) and on one machine suddenly it started to use the Windows model and not use the WinFormsObject model.  The scripts will not work on the one using the Windows model.  I installed Visual Studio 2010 trial and that comes with .NET Framework 4 but I have sinces removed it.  I tried everything mentioned above.  What next?

Thanks
    dpolist
    New Contributor
    Hi Folks,

I see the same issue here with WPF in Windows 7 and TC 7.52.  I had .NET 4, which is now gone, and TC still fails to detect a WPF as an open application. 
    dpolist
    New Contributor
    Another issue is that the Property Checkpoint window ended up like the attached...