Forum Discussion

jimpson
Contributor
10 years ago

Why could TestComplete/TestExecute fail to work with IE 11 in a Windows Server 2012 R2 environment

I have an environment full of Server 2012 R2 Machines.  If I force the GPOs down on them and restart them, TC/TE will work.  If I neglect to force the GPO down (which shouldn't make a difference), TC/TE will fail in this manner:

- Launch browser

- Wait for browser

- TC can't see the browser it just launched

- The commands to launch and check for the browser are wrapped in try/catch (jscript) and report "unspecified error"

This exact script is deployed to another environment, where it runs on windows 7 machines, and it works perfectly fine.  All of these systems are in the same domain, in the same OU, and use the exact same GPOs (which basically apply the recommended TC/TE requirements from the help file).

Anyone see this same behavior, or have any direction....

7 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Joshua,

Do I get it right that the tests are executing fine on Windows Server 2012 right after the server restart? Can you identify the period after which the tests stop executing and you have to reboot the server?

jimpson
      Contributor

I've managed to narrow this problem down a little further...  So here goes.

I previously had a GPO in place to launch our tested application and TestExecute when the machines were started.  If I disable this GPO, I have to manually start both the tested application and TestExecute.  When the TE application is started manually, the applicaiton will run the scripts without failure.  If I allow the GPO to start the tested application and TE, then the test will launch Internet Explorer ( a step required to generate data for the tested applicaiton) and then it appears to lose scope of the the IE browser.

When TE and the tested app are launched via GPO, and the test fails, I can then cause a crash with the TE applicaiton by simply right clicking the TE system tray icon and using the applicaiton's built in exit command.  Exiting the application in this manner (the intended manner), causes the crash, which reports a problem with asComm in TestExecute. 

jimpson
        Contributor

Here is the error I get when I shutdown TE after a system restart:

aqCommError.PNG

Once I restart the TE client when this error occurs, I can continue as I would have been able to normally.