Forum Discussion

Rakeshyadav09
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Where can I find the automation script logs if my script is timed out? I am using TestExecute.

I have an automation test, I ran the automation test using TestExecute. I checked the report it says the automation test is timed out. I checked the directory where we are saving the log files but unable to find the log file there. Is there is any other location where I can find the logs of my automation test?

• Hi,

> I checked the directory where we are saving the log files 

I am guessing that you are talking about custom log files.

If my guess is correct, then:

-- Login to the machine with TestExecute;

-- Start TestExecute. When started, it will display an icon in the system tray;

-- Right-click the icon and Open... your test suite;

-- Right-click TestExecute icon again and select required log file from the context menu.

Does this help?

3 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Try running a small test that won't time out and see where the log is saved.  If you have one, it will always be there, but I believe that the log is written out at the very end of the test so you may not be getting to that step and a log isn't actually being saved.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> I checked the directory where we are saving the log files 

I am guessing that you are talking about custom log files.

If my guess is correct, then:

-- Login to the machine with TestExecute;

-- Start TestExecute. When started, it will display an icon in the system tray;

-- Right-click the icon and Open... your test suite;

-- Right-click TestExecute icon again and select required log file from the context menu.

Does this help?

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Additionally, if you don't have TestExecute/TestComplete set up to auto-save log files every X number of minutes, the logs stay memory resident and do not get flushed to disk if TestExecute is terminated before the automation completes "cleanly".

In TestComplete, go to Tools | Current Project Properties |Project | Playback and see what is set in the "Save log every ___ minutes".  If that's set to 0, try setting it to some value like 5 or 10... that way you'll have at least a partial log if TE fails to complete.