Forum Discussion

RaulValdes
Occasional Visitor
2 years ago

What does Exit code 2 means when INSTALLING TestComplete 15.46.9.7

I am creating a installation package to install TestComplete 15.46.9., i am using a powershell script

with the following installation switch

"xDir\TestComplete_Tool.exe" -SilentInstall

nothing else, and it works like a charm in most machines but some of them are returning 2 as an exit code (checked on my logs) and it fails, but it doesn't say why

I tried searching what that exit code for installation means but had no luck, can someone help on this?

Thanks

2 Replies

Kitt
    Regular Contributor

This is the SmartBear documentation on exit codes for both [TestComplete] and [TestExecute]. Both state exit code 2 is when the last test results include errors. Although these are in reference to the running of tests vs the installation process, one could assume the same exit logic is applied. Since you are suppressing the errors using -SilentInstall you never see them what the error actually is.

I would try searching for the "setup" or "testcomplete" log, which should be stored in C:\Users\<youruser>\AppData\Local\Temp. In the log you might find something similar to below:

Error message: "Unable to execute "C:\Windows\Installer\{F9706C42-3B24-1500-91B0-B5EA37F86B81}\Setup_SM.exe" -SilentUnInstall -SkipCheckSingleInstance -HideInstallation -SkipFutureVersion -HASP=False -TCService=False -Log="C:\Users\<youruser>\AppData\Local\Temp". Error : 2."

This might be an indication that the Installer folder is not be present on that machine. What I've done to fix this, is to copy the mentioned folder (C:\Windows\Installer\{F9706C42-3B24-1500-91B0-B5EA37F86B81}\) from another machine that is working. 

I am interested to see if you have a similar error in your logs that point to TELite. I upgraded this morning and hit the "exit code 2" error - fixing the issue with the abovementioned steps. My broader question is why is SmartBear still including TestExecuteLite in the latest versions of TestComplete (see screenshot) - since I though it was deprecated to use TestExecute instead? Would love to see if anyone else with a web license only has had these issues...