Forum Discussion

RuchiT
Occasional Visitor
2 years ago

Video Recording of Test Execution is not working.

Hi everyone. I installed the VideoRecorder Extension (as given on https://github.com/SmartBear/testcomplete-videorecorder-extension) and VLC Media player (version - 2.2.3). I am calling VideoRecorder.Start() from within my script. But on executing it, it is showing me a warning saying - Unable to start the video recorder. See Additional Info for details.

I ran the command manually as given in the details tab and VLC gets opened successfully. I am not sure why Testcomplete is not able to record the testExecution. Can someone please help me with this. 

The path of different applications - 

TestComplete Path - C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 15\x64\Bin\TestComplete.exe

VLC Path - C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC

2 Replies

• Hey there! I had a similar issue when setting up the VideoRecorder Extension. It looks like you've done the right steps by installing the extension and VLC Media Player. Since VLC opens manually, there might be a configuration or compatibility issue with TestComplete.

Firstly, ensure that the paths you provided for TestComplete and VLC are correct. Sometimes, even a small mistake in the path can cause such problems. Double-check the paths in your script and make sure they match the actual locations.

Next, consider checking the compatibility of the VideoRecorder Extension and VLC version with your TestComplete version. Sometimes, extensions may need updates to work seamlessly with newer software versions.

Also, verify the permissions of the folders where TestComplete and VLC are installed. They should have the necessary read and execute permissions for the user running the script.

If the issue persists, I'd recommend reaching out to the support or community forum of TestComplete or the VideoRecorder Extension. They might have encountered similar issues and can provide specific troubleshooting steps.

Lastly, thanks for sharing the link, but I'll stick to discussing the test recording concern for now. Hope this helps you get closer to solving the problem! 🛠🎥

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Use the latest version of TestComplete and VLC, and ensure you follow VideoRecorder Extension

The following code example will record a video.

function Test() {
        // Start recording with High quality
        VideoRecorder.Start("High")

// Do some test actions
        WshShell.Run("notepad");
        var pNotepad = Sys.WaitProcess("notepad", 10*1000);
        var wMain = pNotepad.Window("Notepad", "*Notepad")
        var wEdit = wMain.Window("Edit")
        wEdit.Keys("Test")
        wMain.MainMenu.Click("Help|About Notepad");
        pNotepad.Window("#32770", "About Notepad").Window("Button", "OK").ClickButton();
        pNotepad.Close();
        Aliases.notepad.dlgNotepad.DirectUIHWND.CtrlNotifySink.btnDontSave.ClickButton();

// Stop recording
        VideoRecorder.Stop()
    }