Forum Discussion

NicolaFilosa_SE
Contributor
2 years ago

Video Recorder does not work

Hi to everyone, I installed "VideoRecorder.tcx", it is in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 15\Bin\Extensions\ScriptExtensions". Before intalling the extension I installed VLC 3.0.18. When I start recording a test this message appears:

"The video recorder uses the recording functionality of the VLC framework. Download the recorder from the following website and install it:

https://www.videolan.org/

How can I procede to make this extension usable?

11 Replies

NicolaFilosa_SE
      Contributor

Hi Masha,

I tried starting recording, launching an application and then stopping the recording but it does not work. If I try on my personal computer it works. Could it be a configuration of the pc?

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Yes it could be. I would try running VLC on the test computer manually and see if it even works as a standalone.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I followed the instruction given on GitHub, and I'm able to record a clip of the automation. If VLC is uninstalled, then the following message is shown "Unable to start video recording. The VLC recorder is not installed.". Ensure you have VLC installed, run the build.bat file, and ensure you have appropriate permissions.

NicolaFilosa_SE
      Contributor

I did the same instructions on my personal pc and on the dedicated pc. In my pc it works while in the other it does not. I'm asking if there are other configurations that have to be setted

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

On the dedicated pc, will the test run in TestComplete without the VLC part?

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

What's the difference between your PC and the other PC? Are there any differences?

NicolaFilosa_SE
      Contributor

It is what I'm asking myself. I don't understand what could be. Because we have another dedicated pc, for another software, and in this one the recording works correctly.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

To test the recording using VLC, Click Media -> Open Capture Devices…

Change capture mode to Desktop and desired framerate to 30fps

Expand Play and select Convert. Change the video profile and provide a filename

Press Start, and perform some actions on your desktop for about 30 seconds, then click the stop button in VLC.

Has anything been recorded?