Forum Discussion

simonaferrara
Frequent Contributor
3 years ago

Verify if a program is installed

Hi all,

someone know if there could be a method to check if a program is installed?

During a test, I'm installing an msi, and I would like to verify if the program belongs to the list of the installed programs within the operating system (that is: the programs that I see within "Control Panel -> Programs and Features").

Thanks!

Simona

3 Replies

simonaferrara
      Frequent Contributor

Hi, 

anyone have got other ideas? 

I can check the processes related to the application (as mattb explain) but this check is currently not enough, I would like to find a way to check if the application appears within the "Program and Feature" list.

Thanks

Simona

Raviavi
        Occasional Contributor

Hi Simona, 

This is also an option using powershell script, but check the feasibility from your end

****************** Test Complete Code***************************************

function CheckProgramInstalled()
        {
        var WSH = Sys["OleObject"]("WScript.Shell");
        var objExec = WSH["Exec"]("powershell -file C:\\****\\PowerscriptName.ps1");
        objExec ["StdIn"]["Close"]();
        var strOutput = objExec ["StdOut"]["ReadAll"]();
        Log["Message"](strOutput);
        }

****************** Test Complete Code***************************************

in the above code power script(PS1 file - C:\\****\\PowerscriptName.ps1) is being used, you could create that file with below code using node pad and save as .ps1 extension or using powershell ise or VS CODE

$software = "PROGRAM  NAME THAT YOU ARE SEARCHING";
        $installed = (Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Where { $_.DisplayName -eq $software }) -ne $null

If(-Not $installed) {
        Write-Host "'$software' is not installed";
        } else {
        Write-Host "'$software' is installed."
        }

It works if machine is 64 bit

Else you can check using below in 2nd line of powershell script - I have not tried this

HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstal  in 2nd line of powershell script