Forum Discussion

larolsen
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Unable to start the environment manager test?

Hi

When I start our test project, I get an error saying "Unable to start the environment manager test, because the web plugin is not installed"

We don't use the web-plugin, and don't have a license for it. How do I get rid of this error message, that is preventing us from running our tests?

TestComplete version is 12.20.935.7, Test computer is running Windows 8, and our project is used to iOS apps.

Best regards

Lars Lund Olsen

• SOLVED IT!

The issue was too simple.... It seems that the shortcut-key to run the test project was changed from F5 to ctrl+F5... After I noticed this, and started using ctrl+F5 it all works as intended ;-)

Thanks to all who replied

Best regards

Lars Lund Olsen

12 Replies

• I was wondering about this myself.

Not installed the new version as yet, but all the docs for environment manager seem to talk about web and browser. I'm not clear if it supports tests outwith browsers. The docs aren't clear on that.

I do almost exclusively desktop stuff now so if it's web only, it won't be any use to me.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to play around with the environment manager directly.  I've been poking around at 12.20 on a number of other things and haven't had the dedicated time to try out the CBT integration.  It gives a free 1 week trial and I'd like to make sure I have the time to make that worth it.

That said, the name of the object component actually says it all... CBT = CrossBrowserTesting.  This is SmartBear's integration of their CrossBrowserTesting platform into the TestComplete tool.  Which, honestly, sounds PHENOMENALLY cool.  I'll probably boot it up and start poking around within the next day or two.  But, suffice it to say, it is not a tool for simulating Mobile applications or Desktop applications in different environment conditions.  It's for checking web apps under different OS and browser combinations.

To do such a thing for desktop applications or mobile applications would mean that, when you send the tests over to the virtual test environment, you would somehow need to send the application over there as well.  This is easily done with web apps... not so easily done with desktop and mobile.  It's a limitation not of the Environment Manager but of the technology.

larolsen
        Contributor

I'm sure it has a lot of value. But right now it fails on my machine, which is preventing me from running any tests at all. So I would just like to know how to stop it from failing ;-)

Best regards

Lars Lund Olsen