Forum Discussion

conehead
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

TestComplete error about being 'transparent or out of the window bounds'.

I have a dummy test (clicking on application objects) that would run yesterday, but not today. The application has not changed.

The error is 'There was an attempt to perform an action at point (84, 18) which is transparent or out of the window bounds.'

I'm not so much worried about the inconsistency as I am finding out how to eliminate the error. I would appreciate if anyone has a suggested solution or any ideas.

Tks.

• The two parameters in your click action (84,18) refer to coordinates of the object, and it sounds like the object size has changed.

In general, unless there is a specific need you should set those to -1. This will always click the center of the object regardless of the size.

7 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

The two parameters in your click action (84,18) refer to coordinates of the object, and it sounds like the object size has changed.

In general, unless there is a specific need you should set those to -1. This will always click the center of the object regardless of the size.

kiran93
      Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I tried this but it's not working and I cannot use scroll option as the webpage does not have the scroll bar. can you please suggest what to do.

Thanks,

conehead
    Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know that I can safely change those in most cases.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

When you edit the action in your keyword test, you should have the option of changing the parameters.  Set the values there.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Note, also, setting that value is not a guarenteed solution.  It is entirely possible that the co-ordinates are correct but, because of some sort of timing situation (it takes a few seconds for a component to appear on screen), that error could be generated.  I've seen this happen when there are web components that exist but are "hidden" in an application.  They are there so TestComplete attempts to click on it, generating the error.  You may need to put additional code (WaitChild, WaitProperty, etc) in place to ensure that the application is ready for the action before the action is performed.

vthomeschoolmom
        Super Contributor

I was experiencing this error when not using coordinates at all. I refered to the alias in a script. I had not previously been receiving an error. It MAY have been related to updating to TC 14 though I have not done enough testing to confirm. In any event, I was able to resolve this by checking Ignore Overlapping Window in the project's playback properties. I had observed that prioir to the error, I was seing a waiting for overlapping window message in the indicator despite the fact that there was none. I don't love the solution. But it gets me by.