Forum Discussion

gtaub
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

TestComplete and Windows 11 not able to identify elements

We have recently upgraded to using windows 11 with test complete. We were able to record web objects without any issues previously. Now the same test that worked prior no longer executes nor can i rerecord the test because it is not able to identify elements. We have reinstalled Test Complete and even tried to revert back to an older version from last year when the test recorded originally. We downgraded Chrome version from 108 to 103 thinking it would be a browser issue and it was not. We also disabled our proxy and no help there. 

Does anyone know what would interfere with TestComplete being able to identify objects on web page?

10 Replies

Kitt
    Regular Contributor

This is TestComplete's official documentation on running Win10 or later [here]. I'm curious if you have reinstall the TC browser extension/s? And how is your browser is shown in your Object Browser within TestComplete (like below)?

gtaub
      Occasional Contributor

My browser looks like this. Which seems the same except the commandLine item.

Kitt
        Regular Contributor

That might be your problem. As long as you're not launching you tests from command line it isn't required to use command line arguments, as TC handles this by default - see [here]. Try refreshing your chrome cache/cookies, reboot, and double checking that your TC web extension is installed under the default user profile in your Chrome local app data (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions) - and IS NOT being saved under Profile3 (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile3\). I have some comments about a somewhat related topic that might be helpful [here]. My guess is that your default browser settings have changed since upgrading to Win11.

Kitt
    Regular Contributor

Shucks, appreciate the attempt and sorry it didn't work out. You can check in Task Manager that "tcCrHost.exe" is running - maybe the services stopped?

Without diving deeper into the rabbit hole, it might be best to open a ticket with SmartBear [here]. It's really hard for me to say given that we're not running Win11 yet, but we have been running the latest version of Chrome on the latest version of TC, and have resolved a similar Object Browser --disable-hang monitor issue using these steps (although in our case Chrome had an object type = Process).

If you have multiple machines and are able to downgrade one to Win10 for comparison, it might help identify the difference more easily; otherwise I'd stick to asking support for help.