Forum Discussion

13 years ago

TestComplete Integration with DevSuite / DevTest from TechExcel

Greetings,

We are reviewing automated testing tools and our current management program DevSuite suggests using TestComplete. The documentation I found on this site, including the 1 hour video, indicated that the two programs work well together.

Is anyone using the two programs successfully and willing to provide a testimonial?

Are there challenges to be aware of while setting up the systems?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dale

3 Replies

• Hi Dale,

Personally, I don't have any experience of integrating TestComplete into DevSuite. I searched through our DB, and the only thing I can say is that the integration is implemented on the DevSuite side, so you should refer to this tool's documentation.

However, probably, other TestComplete users will share their experience.

BTW, SmartBear Software develops own lifecycle and test management tools. You can review them if you are interested:

ALMComplete

QAComplete
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Dale,

Sorry for the non-positive opinion...

As Mike already said, all integration with TestComplete is done on the devTest/devSuite side. I don't know its current state (hopefully, it improved), but when we evaluated integration with TC7.52 approx. 18 month ago, we were not satisfied with how it was done.

The major problem, as far as I can recollect, was the fact that when you marked test in devTest as automated, the only option available was to specify the whole TestComplete project as a test target. No chance to specify test item or script routine, just a whole project.

At that time we already had several TestComplete test projects and every test project had a structured tree of test items. Definitely it was near to impossible for us to create a separate test project for every test just to be able to execute it from devTest.

Another thing (it might be not 100% correct, so you should double-check this) was that it was not possible to specify in devTest the required order of tests execution. We needed this because some of our functional tests were dependent on the previous ones and provide input data for their child test items. I.e. for example, you cannot test the payment procedure while the order was not made and it is impossible to generate the report until the payment was not done. While this can easily be organized via test items in TestComplete, the exact order of tests execution is required in devTest to guarantee the correct sequence of performed actions.

AFAIR, these were the major cases that prevented us from integrating TestComplete with devTest.
    user_j_e
    Occasional Contributor
    I was able to run individual tests from DevTest. There has to be a test item in TestComplete for DevTest to be able to select the individual test to run.

One of the main problems with the integration is you have to have DevTest installed on the machine that runs the automation.  We have a workstation dedicated for automation which means you have to remote into the machine to run automation.

So we don't really use the integration but we have been using the DevTest API for a long time.  It is more useful since the api can create test cycles.