Forum Discussion

clay
Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete Desktop v12.10 is very verys low to record and playback.

I am learning to record macros using the Orders application (C# version).  Even the most basic operations, such as going to the file menu to open a file through the Orders application, is taking 30 seconds or more just to get the file dialog box to appear.  I have tried using TestComplete on one of our very large applications written in C++ and it just appears to hang (I have had to wait minutes to perform simple operations).

I am hoping that there is something I can do to tune the product and make it run faster.  As it is now, it is much too slow to be of practical use for us.

I have turned of image capturing during the recording process and that does not seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

9 Replies

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

One of the things that is being done while recording your test is that objects need to be identified so that they can be added to the NameMapping when the recording is complete.  Depending upon the complexity of the application, the types of objects and controls being used, etc., this NameMapping can take a bit.  

You could try turning off automatic NameMapping (Tools | Engines | NameMapping) but that would mean you'd have to come back and map the items manually after the fact.  You could at least try it as a diagnostic to see if this is the problem.

clay
        Contributor

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.  Your suggestion makes a lot of sense to me (delays occur immediately after a new window opens - then there is an "explosion" of activity until the next window opens, then repeat...).  However, I turned off the name mapping and I can see no change in performance.  The tests run to completion, so some sort of mapping is apparently still taking place even though I turned off the mapping per your suggestion.

I have not taken an in-depth look at the previous reply, but will be doing so in a few minutes.

Thanks again.

Clay

clay
      Contributor

Generally good information.  Thanks for the post. 

I have been through a major portion of the material, but I haven't found anything fixes to my problem yet.  I see minor improvements, but the main problem - 30+ second delays - still persists.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Hang on... something in one of your previous posts doesn't add up.

You say that the tests run to completion but there are still delays.

So... question: The delays you are complaining about... are they happening on recording or on playback? Depending upon that answer, there may be a whole host of other things to check.