Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Test Complete is not working in a Vm

I need some help.

TestComplete is not working in a Vm.TestComplete is not able to recognise windows pop-up menu.It fails to recognise Windows explrer window.

Please help.

2 Replies

simon_glet
    Regular Contributor
    Hi Soumava,

We have been using real and VMware machines for years and we have not seen any difference in TestComplete's behavior. The scripts are exactly the same for any type of "hardware".

If you are running TC on the host of a virtualization solution (VMWare Workstation, Virtual Box) and running the tested application in a VM then you are out of luck because that will not work. TC will consider the VM's display as the tested application by itself but not what is running "inside".

If you are in another setup, as a side note about TC 9.2, we have noticed that, at times, TestComplete fails to do any NameMappings recognition. Once that happens we have restart TC and the tested application.

Sincerely
    ian807
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm reasonably sure that TestComplete works on a VM since we have about 5 VMs running on each of our 14 servers. We've been running our tests on these VMs for years now.

That said, Windows 8 or 8.1 VMs with TestComplete 9.31 is extremely problematic, exhibiting some remarkably unpredictable behaviors that seem to vary from machine to machine (I have yet to get object spy or .findall to work on that combination). 9.30 remains stable enough on Windows 8 and 8.1, on both physical and virtual machines.

As has been mentioned before, TestComplete must be installed on the VM, not the host machine. It's an easy mistake to make if you're new to automated testing.

Try a Windows 7 VM with TestComplete 9.30 installed on the VM if you can. That's been a very reliable combination for us.

Hope this helps.