Forum Discussion

cbruck_1
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

TC 7.52 working with Delphi App - New crash behavior

I'm running into an odd crash resulting from a FindChild call, and working with the object returned.  Here's the function that's triggering it:

function slxCoreFind(property, value, depth) {

var control, found;

if (depth == undefined)

depth = 30;

found = Sys.Process("SalesLogix").FindChild(property, value, depth);

if (found != null && found.Exists && IsSupported(found, "FullName"))

return found.FullName;

else

return null;

}

It appears the application (SalesLogix) is crashing when I try to examine the found object that was returned by FindChild.  After the app crashes, I can still examine the found object (by setting a break point), and it appears to have managed to find the object, though of course the RPC server is showing up as unavailable due to the crash.

This script worked under TC 7.51

4 Replies

cbruck_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Looking at the bug fixes for 7.52, this may be related to changes to the Caption property.  I'm using Windows XP, and the code above is being called with the following parameters:

property = "Caption"

value = "Add Opportunity"

depth = undefined

So effectively it's calling FindChild("Caption", "Add Opportunity", 30), since depth is defaulted to 30 earlier in the function.

Could this be a side effect of the changes to make the Caption property perform correctly in Windows 7?
    cbruck_1
    Occasional Contributor
    I decided to examine the caption property for the objects which are loaded when this happens.  After scrolling through a few hundred objects, I came across something indicating it's part of "WMS Notif Engine", where the Caption property was "W ?||??", and when I copied that caption into Wordpad it had several line breaks in it.

Windows Media Server (WMS) seems to be involved with the Microsoft Script Debugger, as well as MAPI/Outlook.  Anyone ever run into this?
    cbruck_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Since this may be Microsoft Script Debugger related, here are the relevant MS products I have installed:

Visual Studio 2008 (SP 1)

Windows XP (SP 3)

Native SQL Client

Office 2007

• Hello Christopher,

Currently, it is difficult to guess what affects the problem. To help us investigate it, please follow the steps below to collect the needed additional information:

1. Download a free trial version of AQtime 6, which is our profiling tool, from our web site. The trial can be requested on the following page of our web site:

http://www.automatedqa.com/downloads/aqtime/

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime.

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the executable file of the tested application and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

9. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

10. AQtime will start the tested application and trace all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

11. Reproduce the problem.

12. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

13. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file via our Contact Support form:

http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message/

Thanks in advance.