Forum Discussion

Madhi
Contributor
14 years ago

Special Characters recognition

Test Complete is  not recognizing special characters like when the regional setting is set to US, when I try to enter greek alphabets - sys.desktop.keys("^") etc. Sets a blank value in the field.  Do you have any suggestions.

5 Replies

• Thank you for your reply Jared:

However the topic is too advanced Im not able to follow.  Will you be a ble to tell me if we can send ascii values like fn key combinations in laptop for example - é is possible by holding down fn key and alt+1+3+0.

Please let me know.
  • Jared:  Tried to change the settings to ANSI which supports the country settings I test.  But no luck.  Initially it was Auto and I changed to ANSI.  Please let me know if there are any other options.
  • Hi,

if we can send ascii values like fn key combinations

The String.fromCharCode method should be ok. You can use it in the following way

However the topic is too advanced Im not able to follow

It's strange. Ok, try only the following part:

For Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008:

1. Open the Control Panel | Clock, Language, and Region windows.

2. Click Region and Language. This will invoke the Region and Language dialog boxes.

3. Switch to the Administrative tabbed page and click the Change system locale in Language for the non-Unicode programs section.

4. In the subsequent dialog, select the needed Unicode language from the Current system locale list.

For Windows XP or Windows Server 2003:

1. Open the Control Panel | Regional and Language Options dialogs.

2. Switch to the Advanced tabbed page.

3. In the Language for non-Unicode programs list, select the needed Unicode language.

For Windows 2000:

1. Open the Control Panel | Regional Options dialog.

2. On the General tabbed page, click Set Default.

3. In the subsequent dialog, specify the needed language in the Select the appropriate locale box.

Tried to change the settings to ANSI which supports the country settings I test

I think, the best option is UTF-16 (Unicode). However, first of all, I recommend that you set the correct Unicode language (see above).

BTW, to apply the encoding, you need to modify and save units as this setting is applied to units only when you save them.
  • Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I did not mean I dont understand how to set the regional settings.. I meant the Test Complete Test topic.  However i figured out how.

From the topic i understood the multiple language settings will work with ANSI.  Will try 16.