Forum Discussion

tppegu
Contributor
15 years ago

Silverlight name mapping issue

Hi all.

In TC 7.52, I'm having a consistent problem with Silverlight objects and name mapping. When I first start examining objects in the object browser, any mapped objects correctly show something in the MappedName field. After a while though, TC seems to lose track of mapped Silverlight objects, and it enters a state in which all Silverlight objects (up to the level of the MicrosoftSilverlight WndClass object) show nothing in the MappedName field no matter how many times I refresh. While in this state, most things still seem to work OK; for example, I can use the "Show in Object Browser" function in the name mapping panel to correctly locate the mapped object. However, if I try to use the "Map Object Name" function from the object browser, then it prompts me to map all the parent objects, which are already mapped. Very annoying.

Until today this has only been a fairly frequent but inconsistent problem. But today I am finding that I can consistently cause TC to enter this state by simply using the "Map Object Name" function on a child of an already mapped object. While everything is working correctly, I use that function to map a new object. This works as expected, but immediately afterwards the MappedName field in all silverlight objects is now blank. Any subsequent attempts to map additional objects result in a prompt to map all the parent objects up to the level of the main Silverlight object.

I can work around the problem by reloading the page that hosts the main Silverlight object, after which name mappings show correctly again, and I can map one more object before the problem returns.

Does anyone else have similar issues? I know that I've used this particular workflow in the past without any problems, but I don't know what's changed or when this started. I suspect it's a problem with TC 7.5 vs 7.0, but I'm not sure.

I'm using IE7, by the way, on a native (i.e. not a VM) Vista system.

6 Replies

• As luck would have it, this method of reproducing the problem stopped working shortly after I posted. It's still an occasional problem, but I can no longer reproduce it reliably.

• Hi Tony,

Thank you for reporting this behavior. We have reproduced it, and we will investigate it. Unfortunately, I cannot suggest you any workaround except for the one you have already found.
    Lambis
    New Contributor
    Hello there,

I am using TC 8.7 to automate the test of a SL 4.0 web application and I have the exact same problem.

Using object spy, I have noticed that TC loses name mapping from a certain level of the object tree and below.

This is extremely annoying, especially when I replay my recorded tests that crash and afterwards I see that there is no mapped name for the objects on the page.
  • Hi Lambis,

Most probably, you are facing a different problem. I would appreciate it if you sent us more information on the problem via the Contact Support form. It would be perfect if you provide us with an access to the tested application so we can reproduce and investigate the problem. If you cannot provide us with access to the tested application, please reproduce the problem, pack the entire project suite folder and send the archive to us.
    Lambis
    New Contributor
    Unfortunately, I can't provide you access to the application.

The project is xtra-large (above 400 MB), but the problem is that the object-spy doesn't map any names. I am not talking about a problem in replaying the tests, I am talking about a general issue I am facing with TC against this certain application.

Imagine that you have just opened TC and you are investigating the objects' hierarchy of the application. You will then notice that below a certain level, there is no mapping at all. It's a general issue with this app. I have Extended object tree option enabled in this project.
  • Hi Lambis,

I would appreciate it if you contacted us using the Contact Support form and sent description of the problem including images or, maybe, video demonstrating the problem so we can understand it better. 

Thanks in advance.