Forum Discussion

michelle_cox
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Run TestedApp for regedit.exe not working on Windows 7

I have a keyword test that I recorded on Windows XP which starts with a Run TestedApp commad to open C:\windows\regedit.exe - I have since moved to Windows 7 and this no longer works. From what I can see the regedit.exe program still exists in the same place as in XP but when I try to run it I get the following error:

Unable to open: C:\Windows\regedit.exe

Working Folder: C:\windows

Parameters: [n/a]

Any ideas why it would not be working?

5 Replies

michelle_cox
    Occasional Contributor
    I have looked in to this a bit more and it seems that TestComplete doesn't even recognise the regedit windows/object - when I try to map the window/object or view window/object properties it does not recognise it. It basically does nothing, I get no properties, object information or error messages
  • Hi Michelle,

Most likely, you get this error due to the Windows 7 security policy. To learn how to work with TestComplete under the Windows 7 OS, please see the "Testing Applications With TestComplete Under Windows Vista and Later Operating Systems" help topic.

I hope this helps.

michelle_cox
    Occasional Contributor
    Many thanks - turns out I just needed to use the 'Run as administrator' option when starting TestComplete.
  • I am experiencing a similar situation I am running Windows 2008 Enterprise Edition. I am running via remote desktop though. I tried the Run as Admin on Test Execute but same error happens. Is the run admin applicable to test execute 8 too?

Unable to run: C:\MP\Myapp.exe

Working Folder: \\testpc\MP\Server

Parameters: [n/a]

I ran the same test on my xp and win2003 machines but I was able to run the test smoothly. That error occurs only on Win2008

• Hi Rachelle,

Yes, you need to run TE as an administrator. In addition to that, you must install the WoW64 component of the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. See the "Using TestExecute Under Windows Vista and Later Operating Systems" article for details. If this still does not help, please make sure that the working folder is shared and available. Can you run the application via remote desktop manually?

If the folder is fine, please describe the actions you perform before the issue occurs as minutely as possible. Also, please provide us with detailed information about your system. To get the information, please run msinfo32 (Start | Run...), save the information it provides to an *.NFO file (File | Save...), and send it to us. In addition to this, please zip the entire project suite folder and send us the archive.