Forum Discussion

enriquebravo
Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Project Merge Fails Due To mds File Conflict

Here is the workflow:

1. Team member syncs the "main" branch to the "main" GitHub branch.

2. Team member creates a branch off of the local "main" to work on.

3. Team member switches to the newly created branch, makes changes, and commits.

4. Team member pulls from GitHub the "main" branch to get other team member's work into the local "main" branch.

5. Team member tries to merge the local branch that contains the updates to the local "main" branch, prior to push the code. 

The merge process between the local branch that contains the work and the main main local branch results in a conflict. The mds file is changed. This issues has caused errors as well as diverging branches.

Any suggestions?

Is it better to do all the code version control tasks via git bash?

Thanks.

• Hi enriquebravo!

Depending on what is being changed, seeing the .MDS file altered is to be expected. 

Information that is common for all testers (the number and names of project items, test item settings, the scripting language, etc.) is stored in the single project file that has the .mds extension.

You may find information covering the specific types of files and their operation in the document below;

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/managing-projects/files.html

In regards to using the bash terminal, this essentially comes down to user preference. Though merge conflicts may be easier handle this way or through a UI tool like GitKraken. 

I hope this helps!

2 Replies

• Hi enriquebravo!

Depending on what is being changed, seeing the .MDS file altered is to be expected. 

Information that is common for all testers (the number and names of project items, test item settings, the scripting language, etc.) is stored in the single project file that has the .mds extension.

You may find information covering the specific types of files and their operation in the document below;

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/managing-projects/files.html

In regards to using the bash terminal, this essentially comes down to user preference. Though merge conflicts may be easier handle this way or through a UI tool like GitKraken. 

I hope this helps!

enriquebravo
      Contributor

Hey Nick! Hope you are doing well. For the looks of it we will stick to git bash and do the version control work from it, ... less moving part than when working directly from TestComplete. I noticed that even when I close TestComplete, two files in the Events folder are deleted, which causes a new commit to be required..

Any who... fingers crossed we don't see many other merge conflicts in the future.

Thanks for your help and good luck!