Forum Discussion

m_essaid
Valued Contributor
7 years ago

Organizing ProjectSuites and sharing Stores\Files

Hi,

Consider the simpliest case : I have a ProjectSuite that contains 2 Projects.

I need to open it by two ways : in one way I open the "big" ProjectSuite. In another way, I open each Project in a ProjectSuite that contains only one Project.

So this is the way my Projects are organized : sometimes I need to open the "big" ProjectSuite, and other times I need to open "individual" ProjectSuites.

My problem is the following : in theses 2 Projects, I need to share Stores\Files. As a matter of fact the 2 Projects tests 2 different versions of the same Exe and I must have the same File physicaly. So : I share the Stores\Files by adding "as existing item" the Stores object in the second Project.

And here is the problems :

- If I try to do so with the big ProjectSuite, TestComplete refuse to continue because "this element or its child element already exists in a ProjectSuite".

- If I try to open individual ProjectSuite, it works. But it assigns to the Files the same GUID. And when I open the big ProjectSuite, I have the message "The following project elements have the same keys".

So... is it possible ? Or do I need to duplicate Files ?

I don't think it's a bug but I could misunderstood how to deal with the Stores object.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thank you !

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

This is something that I would consider a need for improvement in TestComplete.  Sharing certain files between projects works for things like NameMapping, script code, keyword tests, etc.  But other objects, such as the objects in Stores, cannot easily be shared.  Unfortunately, at this time, you'll need to duplicate the objects... unless someone has a better idea.

m_essaid
      Valued Contributor

Hi tristaanogre,

So I bet that you understood what I said and that it wasn't complete nonsense... Thank you very much ! :)

I'm asking to the support team about that issue... I will tell you more further.

Mehdi

cunderw
      Community Hero

Man, if we could share things like TestedApps.tcTAs, Script.tcScript and Events.tcAX across projects like we can do with individual script units as an existing item I would be soooooo happy. Especially scripts. I actually tried this exact thing prepping for the upcoming webinar and ran into the same problems. Good thing there's source control right? 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, there are some things which seem to be code-like, like Objects stores and TestedApps and such... they are files that store information that is used in the scripts/keyword tests...  I'd think they would be shareable... but the GUID's that are generated are stored in the MDS and PJS files in some way so they aren't easily shareable between projects... bummer, really.  Worth a feature request, I'd say...