Forum Discussion

cfletcher_1
New Contributor
13 years ago

Network suite instability - TestComplete 8.5

I have recently upgraded all of our automation machines from TestComplete 7.52 to TestComplete 8.5. After the upgrade, our distributed tests that once ran with little or no issues now hang on the remote side almost every night preventing our smoke tests from completing. I have also noticed that if I stop and start tests several times while using TestComplete 8.5 that the application crashes (I have submitted the memory dump for that). I have include a screenshot of the multiple processes that are spawned on the remote side. The only errors I get in the logs are "Cannot connect to the remote instance of TestComplete" and "Cannot close the remote instance of TestComplete. Exception occurred". The application is completely hung at the point and has to be terminated. Has anyone else run into similar problems?

1 Reply

• Hi Carl,

To help us investigate the issue, please provide us with additional information:

1. Send us your master project so we can see the structure of your distributed test.

2. Try executing your distributed test again - before executing it, using Task Manager, please check whether there are any "TestComplete.exe" processes on a slave machine(s). If there are, please kill them manually and launch your distributed test. Do you get the same errors? Does TC get hung on the slave machine(s)?

3. If TC hangs on the slave machine(s), please follow the steps below:

- while TC is hanging, launch the aqDumpGenerator.exe utility on one of the slave machines. It resides in the "<TestComplete>\Bin" folder;

- from the list, select TestComplete.exe and click "Generate...";

- in the opened "Browse For Folder" dialog, select the folder to store a .zip archive and click "OK";

- close the opened "Generated Dump File" dialog;

- wait for 5 minutes and generate a new .zip archive;

- send us the generated files.

4. Send us the Silent.log file residing in the following folder on the slave machine:

Windows 7, Vista and Windows Server 2008:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\8.0

Other operating systems:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\8.0 

I have also noticed that if I stop and start tests several times while using TestComplete 8.5 that the application crashes (I have submitted the memory dump for that).

I've searched through our DB and haven't found any error reports from you (they are anonymous by default). Please re-submit the dump files to us directly. The dump files reside in the following folder:

Windows 7, Vista and Windows Server 2008:

<Users>\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\8.0\Logs\

Other operating systems:

<Documents and Settings>\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\8.0\Logs\