Forum Discussion

itvrdeich
Contributor
13 years ago

Name Mapping Web Page Names

Hi,

I recently had created many web tests using Test Complete and they played back fine.  However I started performing the same tests on another machine and the web page names started to render using random, different names. In the attachment, you will see in my name mapping a page called "pageWinscribeNet". Prior to me tidying the name mapping up, I had numerous pages called "pageWinscribeNet1",

"pageWinscribeNet23","pageWinscribeNet5","pageWinscribeNet2" and so on. So i put all the forms under the same page. This worked for the the machine from which i recorded my tests but other machines name these pages differently which means it cant find button and textboxes on these pages.

So i structured everything under a single object called "pageWinscribeNet" but it still doesnt work unless the control is actually on a page called "pageWinscribeNet".

So how can i get around this? I dont want to use FindChild() unless i really need to because it slows down testing speed.

I have looked at the video "Creating Reliable Tests..." aswell. 

How can i use "*" to find any page called pageWinscribeNet (pageWinscribeNet*)? In the URL for the page it is truncated down to "*" as you can see in the screenshot.

Also I try to edit the name mapping and I keep getting errors the object cannot be found. So i cant view more properties.

Cheers, Ivan .

2 Replies

• I added a screenshot here with what the mappings look like before I attempted to clean it.

• Hi Ivan,

Make sure that the pageWinscribeNet object is mapped by stable and reliable properties.

The problem with multiple objects can occur if the ObjectGroupIndex property is changed dynamically. To solve the problem, try delete this property from the list of identification properties for the pageWinscribeNet object. To learn how to do this, please read Removing Identification Properties From Mapping Criteria.

How can i use "*" to find any page called pageWinscribeNet (pageWinscribeNet*)? In the URL for the page it is truncated down to "*" as you can see in the screenshot.

For information on how to use the asterisk (*) wildcard in Name Mapping, please read the http://smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/18943/ online article.

Also I try to edit the name mapping and I keep getting errors the object cannot be found. So i cant view more properties.

Before modifying identification properties, make sure that your tested application is running and the window containing the needed object is opened. For more information, please read Adding Identification Properties to Mapping Criteria.