Forum Discussion

timgreg
New Contributor
12 years ago

McAfee SiteAdvisor issue

Hi... I have been using TestComplete 9 for a while now and have many KeywordTests and scripts built and working very well. Last week the company that I work for installed McAfee SiteAdvisor on my IE9, Chrome and FF. This has broken all of my automated testing. Has anyone else run into this issue and if so what did you do to fix the issue? Nothing seem to work for me... Thanks.

5 Replies

jkrolczy
    Regular Contributor
    Can you ellaborate more on what you are seeing?

I have been having an issue with SiteAdvisor as well.

When using the ToURL, the web page is rendered  within the small

SiteAdvisor box in the upper right for IE browser.

My work-around right now is to disable the Add-ons in IE for McAfee SiteAdvisor.

timgreg
    New Contributor
    What I am seeing is the McAfee SiteAdvisor image at the top right corner of the IE browser when the browser opens. When TestComplete attempts to navigate to a given page it appears to enter the url in SiteAdvisor and then SiteAdvisor changes from the image to a scroll bar and the test fails because it continues to focus on SiteAdvisor.

I found these 2 post on a different forum for the same issue but no fix.

http://www.sqaforums.com/forums/hp-functional-testing-mercury-quicktest-pro-qtp/133022-browser-navigate-does-not-do-anything.html

I'm back up and running now because they turn off SiteAdvisor on my computer until someone comes up with a good fix.

I was able to get it to work most of the time in IE9 but it was not 100% reliable and it would not work in Chrome or FF. Here is want I was able to come up with:

In TestComplete:

- Double click on Project in the Project Explorer.

- In Workspace click on the Properties tab at the bottom of the screen.

- Click to view "Playback" options.

- Uncheck "Click on focused control" under "On unexpected window".

Then I created the following script:

function urlLoginAndSearch()

{

Browsers.Item(btIExplorer).Run("about:blank");

Delay(3000);

Aliases.browser.BrowserWindow.WorkerW.ReBarWindow32.AddressBandRoot.Keys(Project.Variables.urlLoginAndSearch); //enters url in the address bar

Aliases.browser.BrowserWindow.WorkerW.ReBarWindow32.AddressBandRoot.Keys("[Enter]"); //same as clicking GO button

Aliases.browser.BrowserWindow.FrameTab.SetFocus(); //sets focus on the browser content frame

}

However, if you open a second browser tab and then close it TestComplete with fail. I had to leave tabs open and use getAddressbar. This is the script code I used:

function gotoLoginScreenMap()

{

Aliases.browser.csrLoginScreenMap.AddressBar; //csrLoginScreenMap in NameMapping

}

If anyone comes up with good fix to get around SiteAdvisor I would like to know. Thanks.

jkrolczy
    Regular Contributor
    This issue you are seeing is the same I get as well.

I've been battling this for a a few months.

It also seems that we are doing the same things to work around this issue as well.

There is obvisously an interaction with TestComplete ToURL and McAfee SiteAdvisor

that does not work well.  However SiteAdvisor obtains the URL to analzye it is somehow connected to something in how ToURL works to put the web URL into the IE browser to navigate to.

jkrolczy
    Regular Contributor
    Latest update:

We have figured out a way to disable the SiteAdvisor service and dissasociate the site advisor plug-in from IE.

All has been good for the past few months.

This does not solve the issue that happens between IE/Site Advisor/TestComplete, just a work-around.

JamesK
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi there,

I want to let you know that it looks like our R&D team has reproduced a similar issue in their test lab. There is a patch for TestComplete 9.20 and 9.30 that should fix it. I suggest that you contact our TestComplete Support team to request the patch.