Forum Discussion

TonyM
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

Jenkins 'Graph' does not count test cases 'nested' under 'Test Item' / 'Folder'.

Hello,

I am using Jenkins to execute my TestComplete Project Suite.  My tests are written in JScript.  Using a plugin, I am able to display a graph on Jenkins that tells me how many tests ran per execution (or build).  Please see Image 1 below. Green arrow is pointing towards Build# 114, which says I ran 7 scripts.

Image 1: Jenkins graph showing 7 Scripts ran for Build#114 

Jenkins 'Graph' displaying how many tests ran on Y-axis for which build number on X-axis.png

However, Image 2 below is a snapshot of my TestComplete Log for Build# 114.  As you can see I executed 10 scripts:

Image 2: TestComplete Log for Build #114.

Number of tests that was executed during the build..png

What's happenning is this: I am using TestComplete 10.5.  In my 'Test Item' window, when I click on 'New TestItem' and map a test case to it, that item gets counted in Jenkins as 1.

TestItemWindow.png

However when I add a 'Child Item' under that 'New Item', and map my test case to the 'Child Item', Jenkins doesn't count how many 'Child Items' were executed.  This makes it hard for me to group my tests and still be able to see on Jenkins how many scripts ran.

ChildItem.png

It's the same behavior if instead of creating 'New Item' I create a Folder and group my tests under it.  Jenkins only counts how many 'New Items'/ Folders are running in a project suite, not the number of 'Child Items'/items under a folder.

Can someone please help me on how I can make Jenkins tell me how many child items I am running?  Or something I can do in my TestComplete project suite, that will allow Jenkins to read the statistics better?  I want to be able to group my tests in TestComplete for better management, and be able to see my graph on Jenkins as well.

Pelase help!! Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Shawn,

I’ve submitted this case to our R&D team for the investigation. I’ll let you know when I have some news from them.

TonyM
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you for looking into this problem.  I will be waiting for your response.

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your patience.

Our Development team has informed me that this is implemented by design. Because of the complex combination of TestComplete results in the JUnit-style report, you can see only first-level items on the graph.

You can submit a product improvement idea in our Feature Requests forum and request to improve this feature. If this idea gets many votes from other community members, our PO could consider implementing it.